myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Promotion wetsuits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Promotion wetsuits Reply with quote

Anyone use this brand? what are your thoughts?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost the only suit I've kept in >20 years. I've owned probably 20 Promotions, from vests to wetsuits to dry suits. I've been given many brands free, and with very few exceptions always just sell 'em and buy a Promotion. I haven't tried other brands recently, but historically I couldn't get my arms in O'Neils, I had to cut the ankle cuffs off my Pryde, and one Bare lasted many years (including many tubes of glue and a coat of spray paint) but the next three fell apart at the seams in ONE DAY. I tried a neck entry suit (Pryde?); the key word was "entry", as I couldn't get out of it by myself. I just HAD to have the gorgeous shop lady peel it off my head and shoulders.

I'm just about ready for another dry suit (I sell mine off before they become junk), and since I can't find a Camaro to try on, I'll just get another Promotion like just about everybody else around here.

Their size charts have always been spot on for me, but I deliberately buy my dry suits oversized for room for fleece underneath.

Mike \m/
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Mike I'm a big Promotion fan. I did have one that did not fit. I'm not sure if it was mislabled or what, but the size was correct, but the suit was not (and I've owned plenty). Of course it would have to be one that I mail ordered. But that is one out of many years of ordering.

The new ones are very nice, but if you pick one up on sale that has the warning that it will stick together, they aren't kidding. Some of the ones on sale are good, but some are of a tye of rubber that they have discontinued using for a reason. Not a problem if you buy the new ones.
flynbri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my Oneil wetsuit in 1986 at the Gorge and bought a Pro Motion Warrior convertable. It was the best fitting wetsuit I've owned and I've been sailing since 1980. I've had three of them and recently bought a shorty - all very comfortable, no problem entry/exit, no zipper issues and warm when you need it. Check out their web site or better yet go to the Gorge and try some on! Razz

MauiSummary_0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.3 KB
 Viewed:  11803 Time(s)

MauiSummary_0001.jpg

jakethesnake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually sponsored by Promotion and I am very stoked on their products. The one thing I've noticed about their suits compared to others is that they don't tire your arms out nearly as much and they hold up a lot better. If your in the market to get a new one I would highly suggest it!
Jake Miller

AerialBaja.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.37 KB
 Viewed:  11745 Time(s)

AerialBaja.jpg

tstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by people who understand needs of a windsurfer. It's been a well liked suit in our household.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree about the fit and durability. Promotion offers more off the rack sizing options in windsurfing specific suits. I used to prefer O'Neil suits when my uhhh. . . midsection wasn't so extended b/c the Large-Short size fit perfectly. That was 15 years ago when O'N actually offered a terrific selection of windsurfing suits.

Promotion suits are very high quality -especially the seam construction that are oriented not only for proper fit and flexibility but to avoid cross-seam stress lines that can tear apart other suits. I've not found the same fit in Promotion's Large-Short -they are just too big for me. But the suit keeps on keeping on and I've not taken advantage of a re-cut.

Buy a Promotion and you will be covered.
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely the best. It is hard to beat the service you get at their Hood River store. George there can even customize suits, and his repairs are great!
Seriously, with a few exception a few years back, they are excellent--I use them for surfing, kiting and windsurfing and even snorkeling, and they work very well--comfortable, durable and warm!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be too much of a party pooper here, but a few years ago I was in Hood River on vacation and I was looking to buy a shortie. I stopped in at the Promotion shop in town, and tried on many many of their shorties, but the fit was never right. Hard to believe, but true.

I ultimately bought an O-Neill shortie at Big Winds. It fit perfectly, so it was a no brainer for me. I should point out that my full wetsuit is also an O-Neill, as have been the majority of suits that I've owned since 1963.

I guess much really comes down to our personal shape and the manufacturers' designs. If I could offer any sage advice here, "always try it on before you buy".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: