myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ocean Windsurfing in Costa Rica?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Ocean Windsurfing in Costa Rica? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any places with gear rental for ocean windsurfing in Costa Rica? Waves would be a plus....
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've windsurfed in Costa Rica the last two years - as far as I know there is no ocean windsurfing there. The main spot is Lake Arenal - sort of like a tropical version of the Gorge. Very pretty spot and VERY WINDY. The water condition is not as good as the Gorge - more of a lake chop on steroids. Still, it was a nice place to sail.

The other spot is Bahia de Salinas, near the Nicaraguan border. There is one sketchy windsurf rental place at the Ecoplaya Hotel. Lots more kiting activity there. This is a protected bay with side-on winds and swell, but not breaking waves. Have to watchout for stingrays while walking. Pretty isolated spot, not many other windsurfers there. Gets similar winds to Arenal.

The ocean winds in Costa Rica are all pretty offshore and the folks I spoke with said you have to have a boat take you way outside before it becomes sailable.

bobg
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Boardsports in Alemeda had a spot down there Reply with quote

It looked like a substantial little villa. The guys at Arenal were going to the coast years ago somewhere north of Arenal . I believe there is more than one spot though they are not widely advertised.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Bahia Salinas Reply with quote

Bahia Salinas along the North Coast almost to Nicaragua
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Bahia Salinas have windsurf rentals? I already know about Arenal. Are there spots besides those two?

EDIT: I found some more information after a google search on Bahia Salinas!

"There is also some great kitesurfing to be had at a popular surfing
break called witches rock. It blows directly offshore there but since
you need a boat to get there anyway you've got somebody to retrieve you
if things bad."

Sounds fun!!!
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is about bahia salinas, but just wanted to put a plug in for hotel mystica in lake arenal if people are heading down there. I stopped at Tilawa and it was a bit creepy, whereas my stay at Hotel Mystica was great. Could have been me, but I liked it better. Plus its walking distance to Tico Winds which has brand new equipement. just my 2 cents...
For Bahia Salinas, I've seen Ecoplaya online but haven't been there yet.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For windsurf rental in Bahia de Salinas, check with Ecoplaya Resort and see if Marc the Dutch guy is still renting gear there. When I went there two January's ago, it was just Marc and I windsurfing and a bunch of kiters.
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: