myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Twin fin Boards in SoCal waters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Twin fin Boards in SoCal waters Reply with quote

I was considering getting a Hi-Fly 115L twin fin for use in the LA area (mostly Cabrillo) but I'm concerned about the weed/kelp issue. It seems the twin fin concept would be far worse than a single fin in trying to shed the ubiquitous Cabrillo/Leo kelp. Has anyone tried twin fins in the LA area and if so, are they better, worse or the same as single fins in dealing w/kelp.

Thanks.
laci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 135l HiFly twin fin that I used in very light air. After experimenting with different fin setups I settled on a pair of Orca surf weed fins made by Gsport. They worked very well, shed all the eel grass and kelp I ever encountered at Secos or County, and I rode waves on them all the time. I'm kind of sorry I ever sold that board; I've replaced it with a SUP board that can be sailed, which is great for shlogging out to waves, but it doesn't work for planing in light air like the HiFly.

PS. I still have those fins, if you are interested.
noflyzoneallstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Madd 115 for a couple of years in the LA area (mostly Cabrillo) and it worked just fine. Vs. weeds, it's not really any better or worse than a single-fin board and the compromises you face with weed fin vs. no weed fin. You'll catch and shed/not shed about the same quantity of weeds, with the same sailing effect, as a single fin.

It is a significant pain in the ass to have to spend twice as much to add anything to your fin quiver and it is a little tricky initially figuring out the right size fins for given sail/wind combos.

I felt the 115 was a great all-around board that just happened to have 2 fins. Only sold it because it was a little bigger than I needed and a big jump down to my 85L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: