myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area shops? Need a wetsuit and harness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradlero1747

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Bay Area shops? Need a wetsuit and harness Reply with quote

Hey guys, looks like the season is finally on for the bay area and I need some stuff to get out on the water. I think I just need a wetsuit and a harness although please let me know of any other must have accessories. I'll be renting the rig from cal sailing in Berkeley (sailing there too...)

What is the best shop around san fran (east bay a plus but not required) that sell these things? Also it would be great if the staff had some good experience cause I don't know much about buying either a wetsuit or a harness.

Also any Berkeley sailors want to chime in on what early season sailing is like? Is it death to go sailing without a hood and/or boots? I WILL be falling in a lot.

Thanks guys! I'm so frikin stoked to get back on the water.

Russell
koogzah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Area shops? Need a wetsuit and harness Reply with quote

For wetsuits, I'd suggest proof lab in marin. Great selection and willing to deal. Harness, you could try KiteWindsurf in Alameda. There are also a couple of shops down in San Mateo, if you are willing to drive, Helm and Boardsports. Best prices tend to be online, though.
bradlero1747

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've been thinking about buying online because of the prices but I'd like to support the locals if at all possible.

Also, I know I need to try on wetsuits cause I've never owned one before and don't know my size.

I guess I could buy the harness online and save some dough if that doesn't really require a precise fit. I know at least with my climbing harnesses I can buy them online but I prefer to try them out in the shop. I guess I could get away with buying a used harness as well if anyone has any comments on that.

Edited to add that I didn't notice too much of a difference between the harness I was trying this past summer but that may just be due to inexperience
windbetty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have windsurfing, kiteboaridng, and SUP retail in 3 locations around the bay area:

-Alameda at our building on Crown Beach. We have harnesses, wetsuits, hoodies, gloves, sails, masts, booms, boards...both new and used.

-San Mateo at Coyote Point Park. We have harnesses, wetsuits, hoodies, gloves, sails, masts, booms, boards...both new and used.

-San Francisco. By appointment gear pick up of any items we sell.

We will do our best to MATCH ANY ONLINE PRICE. It is important to SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS so that they around when you want to try on a harness or wetsuit...or demo a board or sail. If everyone buys online, then all of the shops go out of business, then there is no where to try stuff out. Please help support your local shops.

Here is a complete list of local bay area shops:
http://www.sfba.org/shops.shtml

Top 10 Reasons to Support Your Local Shop (versus buying online)

1. Equipment Expertise: Kiting and Windsurfing are complex sports from an equipment standpoint. Have a local expert help you decide what equipment is best for you and benefit from them showing you how to set it up and rig it properly.

2. Warranty Support: If you have any issues with your gear, your local shop can help support your warranty. That saves you the trouble of dealing with shipping your gear off to some far away place, and waiting for it to be fixed.

3. Safety Knowledge: Your local shop is a great resource for helping you to stay safe. Most kite shops will not let people even buy kite equipment without the customer having taken lessons. Your local shop knows the local conditions and can outfit you with the right safety gear (knife, strobe light, whistle, spare line, etc.). Do you know how to perform a self rescue in the middle of the Bay? Let your local shop help keep you informed and outfitted for safety.

4. Have Somewhere to Buy Accessories When You Need Them Most: When something breaks when you are out sailing or kiting, you can't buy a quick replacement online. If everyone shops online, the local shops go out of business and you have no where to go when the wind rocks, but you're missing a part. You may pay a little more (they do have to pay their rent) but it is worth it to have the help when you need it.

5. Buying Power Discounts: The more you buy from one retailer, the more of a discount they can give you. If you go in to your local shop to spend $1500-$2000 on a full set up, they can give you a discount. If you only buy occasionally for accessories, you won't be able to enjoy the discounts available to frequent shoppers.

6. Swap Meets: Local shops host swap meets every season. This is a great way to buy inexpensive used gear. The shops usually have a special sale going on at the same time.

7. Gear Demos: Shops demo equipment for buyers that allow you to try gear before you buy it. This allows you to really know what you are getting and know you like it!

8. Repair Services: Shops will offer board repair or kite repair. Support your local shop so you have somewhere to go to fix what breaks!

9. Feel Good Supporting Businesses That You Like: Find a shop you like and support them. Buying online can be an impersonal experience. Getting to know your local shop owners and shop employees can not only help your equipment buying needs, you may make new friends. Supporting your local community just feels good!

10. Instant Gratification: When you are psyched to buy gear, why wait to receive it? Buy from your local shop so you can walk away with gear in hand.

Jane
--
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - San Mateo - San Francisco
Voted "Best of the Bay"
http://www.BoardsportsSchool.com

LogoOval.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.18 KB
 Viewed:  13550 Time(s)

LogoOval.gif

timwnitram

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: definitely support local shops Reply with quote

I second Jane's comments, definitely support the local shops, I've only been windsurfing in the Bay Area for 6 years or so, and I've seen a bunch of the local shops close (Boardsports Marin, Berkeley, SF) and the ones that are still around scale way back on windsurfing gear. It's a total bummer if your universal craps out or your boom breaks and you don't want to wait a week for your replacement or drive to the boonies.

The sport will definitely die if people don't support their local shops. I am in no way affiliated with any shop, just a super bummed dude who used to be able to hop and skip to Berkeley Boardsports and now has to drive all over to get my goodies.

-Tim
maui95

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the last year or so, for all of my windsurfing needs, I have been relying on Kevin Kan at Sunset Sailboards

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com

He is extremely knowledgeable and he'll give you sound advice based on your needs. He has a combination of online-onsite type of arrangement (he delivers the goods at your own windy destination and does demos) that is very convenient, especially if you sail a lot. It does require a bit of advance planning, but for most of your planned needs, it actually works very well.

Kevin has been working in retail windsurfing industry for many years now, and is one of the most accomplished sailors in the Bay Area. His prices are very competitive. You can't go wrong!
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: BUY LOCAL< SAIL GLOBAL Reply with quote

I absolutely agree; buy local whenever possible. I am a heavyweight: XL in most cases but I find small Seat Harnesses are incredibly hard to fit for me. I try them on constantly and if I find what I like and it fits, I buy it on the spot! I always have at least one 'in waiting'. You can't try it on online so I never buy harnesses online and I only can buy a wetsuit online because the O'neill XL always fits-any other brand I have to start over and try on many!
wetdog69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget good ole Joe Dihl, Davenport surfsail. Worth a trip to the coast and the stoke is always free with a cup of tea...
831-429-6051
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: