myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Parking a car for a week in the sun
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I had my gear always in the car outside at work. I always left 1 inch open on each window, and put a reflector behind the windshield, leaving the board vents open.

My rationale for keeping the window open is that if they really want to get your stuff, they will break your window anyway, so as well give them the option to open your car with a clotheshanger.

Pierre
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierre wrote:
For years I had my gear always in the car outside at work.

One of the things I really appreciated about working on military bases for decades was the fact that anyone seen breaking into or stealing from a vehicle would be very quickly surrounded by a lot of -- duh -- military people. I never gave a second thought to leaving all my gear on top of my car or in my topless, wide-open Blazer for a quick lunchtime session or a few hours after work. My gear spent many days in the high desert sun in and out of bags with no damage I ever noticed.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the drift on comments here, it seems most are very committed to keeping open vent plugs. On all my Mike's Lab boards that I've owned since 1992, I've only opened the vent plugs for airplane travel to Maui, or for traveling higher elevations.

I guess production boards are more subject to damage with normal fluctuations in the ambient environment. I'm sure glad my boards aren't that fussy and so easily compromised.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve..I think your addiction has reached frightening levels and you might want to consult a windsurf therapist.
Boggsy
sergem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
so.... which parking lot are you using and what boards do you have? ...and how long are you going to be gone? Laughing

Kevin, you're evil Smile
tsokat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had anything ripped off in over 20 years of windsurfing. Windsurfing gear is probably not that easy to fence, I suppose, or maybe I'm just lucky. If that ever happens to me, hopefully, one of my insurance carriers will pay for an upgrade.
victor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an open bed pickup as a w/s vehicle for several years.

I actually ended up with strange equipment that people found laying around and put there in case it was mine. It was like the lost and found.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
kevinkan wrote:
so.... which parking lot are you using and what boards do you have? ...and how long are you going to be gone? Laughing

Kevin, you're evil Smile

Oh, I get it.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
sergem wrote:
kevinkan wrote:

Kevin, you're evil Smile

Oh, I get it.

LOL... you weren't supposed to answer that!! Rolling Eyes

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
carl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
From the drift on comments here, it seems most are very committed to keeping open vent plugs. On all my Mike's Lab boards that I've owned since 1992, I've only opened the vent plugs for airplane travel to Maui, or for traveling higher elevations.

I guess production boards are more subject to damage with normal fluctuations in the ambient environment. I'm sure glad my boards aren't that fussy and so easily compromised.

If you keep them in a van all the time (unless it's a light color cargo van), you get in the habit of open/close the plugs every time you take them in/out of the van. BTW you only have to loosen the vent screw not take it out. The Board Lady says ALL boards can be damaged by heat, not just production boards. Even boards without vent screws.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: