myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back to the Future/Long boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I jumped in and bought a Starboard Serenity. My 1st atemped to sail it left me a good deal humbled. It was a good bit more than optimum wind. 14-16mph. I used a Ezzy Wave 6,3. I managed a beach start, the fin was a 46cm weed . The launch was Waves SoundSide OBX.

The board is a real thouhbred, just sheet in and off it goes, I tried all afternoon and coudn't tack it or gybe it. Not quite as bad as my 1st day with a sailboard 30yrs ago but damn near.

This week the wind is supposed to be 20+ all week so I don't think I'll try the Serenity until the wind gets below 10.

Sort of feels like the 1st day of school. I was looking for a new sailing experience and challange......
tstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a stand-up paddle board with a mast insert. You won't need a center board if you have sail with a deep draft/long boom. You will use it more then you would have ever imagined. Surf, Sail and Paddle. It's all about the time on the water.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Dan, I put an 11.0 on the Kona One. It works great. No, one cannot race the OD class with that large of a sail, but that's another issue.

The main benefit of the Konas is their simplicity. dOuglas was one of the 5 that finished the i to i race in Ft Lauderdale. He was up against folks with FW's, RSX's, and old Equipe's. No other made it around the course on a long board. The attrition of that fleet was about 75%.

Complicating all these reviews is the skill and stamina of the sailors that post their perspectives. The Kona makes the stamina factor less important. I've sailed the Kona One, uber lit up, nearly as down wind as FW's with either the OD sail or others larger or smaller. I've never bothered to change the base position. Partly, because of the rocker of th eKona is so much more than race specific alt's. If I put the base too far back, the hull plows too much, even off wind.

John,

The Kona is a wonderful board and even better in the role as a one-design class racer. Sorta like in the mold of the original Windsurfer. But better.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
Well, I jumped in and bought a Starboard Serenity. My 1st atemped to sail it left me a good deal humbled. It was a good bit more than optimum wind. 14-16mph. I used a Ezzy Wave 6,3. I managed a beach start, the fin was a 46cm weed . The launch was Waves SoundSide OBX.

The board is a real thouhbred, just sheet in and off it goes, I tried all afternoon and coudn't tack it or gybe it. Not quite as bad as my 1st day with a sailboard 30yrs ago but damn near.

This week the wind is supposed to be 20+ all week so I don't think I'll try the Serenity until the wind gets below 10.

Sort of feels like the 1st day of school. I was looking for a new sailing experience and challange......

SeaDawg: I love your description of the Serenity as a thoroughbred! I agree 95%. The Serenity that I sailed was one of the first in the USA on a loan from the designer and may be one of those that Andy keeps in his shop. I say this only to suggest it could be different than what became a full production model.

A possible gripe about the Serenity is that it lacks the foil power to take advantage of winds exceeding 6 knots. Of course, my gripe fails to consider the intended performance window of the Serenity!

Perhaps the Serenity would benefit from an increased deck width so as to increase the hiking leverage without compromising light wind performance. Getting out on the rail is everything on a longboard and the Serenity seems to follow the laws of physics just like any other performance longboard.

Put a big sail on it and you will see the ripping light wind possibilities if you wish to go in that direction.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 1st session I was hooked in and riding the fin. I had spent at least 10yrs sailing my mid 80's equipe. I really was looking for something differant in my longboard experience.

My son jumped on the board the next day with the same 6.3 in about 5knts of wind and he was ghosting along real nicely. The kid even tacked it on his 1st try. Nice to be young and fit.

BTW, I did buy the Woodie from Andy at Sailworld, so if it's a prototype that's cool with me. I had Curtis Hesselgrave make me a shallow water fin for my Free Formula 198. It's 46cm with a wide chord almost looks like a sweeper with a bit of cut out at the base.

The fin I had used was a 46cm Fox Weed and it worked very well on the sound.

The board is going to be perfect for those hot summer days with light winds and it doesn't matter how much I fall in while trying to come about.

Drink up! Yo,Ho!!!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SeaDawg, I also bought a Serenity that I've only used once so far, and like you, I was humbled. However, much of this was due to the fact that the wind died on me after my first run out, so getting back in was a bit tough.

What was so difficult for me was the uphauling. I hadn't uphauled in years, and I found that my lower back really can't handle it so well, at least in my current condition. After the brief session, my lower back was sorely tweaked for about a month. So, it's quite clear to me that I will need to better condition my frame to handle the strain.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Serenity purchase also had an element of making an attempt to getting into better physical condition. I plan on using a smaller spoon at meal time and all the dunking should help the mahogany stains on my elbows if you cacth my drift.

My 1st uphaul was also something of a shocker. Sorry to hear about your back 800mg of Motrin twice a day knocks the edge off my back problems.

On my 1st session with the Serenity the stillness of the board really masked the real speed through the water, and lordy! how it steams upwind is amazing!

That may be part of the learning curve in tacking, it carrys so much speed and points so much higher that I probably wasn't close enough to the neutral point to step around the mast.

I'm figuring on sail-splash, sail-splash for quite a few sessions.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used Kona One this winter and had my first session on it today in very gusty Lake conditions. It was cycling between white caps and calm. I was able to make it to the windward side of the Lake and had some good runs. I never would have made it upwind on my JP Excite or Formula. My IMCO would make it, but the Kona is much more stable. It's a great board.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more long boards oriented to offering both good sailing and wave sailing. The paddle thing is a whole other sport. The stuff that's on the mkt now outside of RRD, and Kona tends to be way better at paddling and not so fantastic, yet passable as a sailor. Doesn't that lead our base away from sailing? How is that strong for our sport? Shouldn't there be more long boards made for fantastic performance with a sail rather than a paddle?

If the wind was side off and wave periods were very long, then sure a surf oriented board may be fine for a sail. How does that analogy go? In a nation of the blind, the one eyed man is king. If no one has any idea about the difference between these 2 classes, how will anyone ever find out? Seen it, time and again, folks are only as knowledgible about stuff like this by lots of comparisons. Not many get the opp to ever do the trials. Those that do often get slammed for voicing their views....

Some higher profile folks in the wind business hardly sail anymore because of this focus on paddling. Shouldn't we all lead by example? Esp those making a living at sailing.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mess around with all types of water craft from my clasic Chris Craft to a cool sail boat called a Tasar (sort of hi-performance of Laser II).

The SUP just hasn't captured my interest. My mid 80's Equipe would do about 90% of the SUP and in some cases perform much better. I never tried to SUP the board but I spent hundreds of hours of sailing 15-25 and rode a gazillion waves with it.

I always felt that a good longboard and a shortboard with a 3 sail Quiver would take care of at least 80% of most sailors needs. Most sailors, being the ones that don't sail the Gorge, Maui. ot the OBX on a regular basis.

My two most recent purchases were the Serenity and Exocet S Cross 130, I'm thinking 5.3. 7.2 and 8.5 should cover most of my needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: