myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hows the swell running this year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Hows the swell running this year? Reply with quote

Hows the swell running this year? Any predictions on what we can expect? Question

Big%20Swell.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.87 KB
 Viewed:  11562 Time(s)

Big%20Swell.jpg

berky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is lots of wind, there will be big swell. If there is less wind then there will be less swell!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berky wrote:
If there is lots of wind, there will be big swell. If there is less wind then there will be less swell!

Man, I wish that were true. Too much also depends on gustiness, subtle variations in direction, and of course current. A 5.0 day can get bigger than a 3.0 day if everything works together, and that's not even counting current.

It's like the wind: it's gonna do what it's gonna do, each hour, at each spot. Snowpack is sorta normal, so swell may be sorta normal ... at each hour at each spot.

Last year saw a record number of 3.5 days in May & June. Most of them looked alike on the plots, but they differed by hundreds of percent in fun factor. Some had incredible swell, others were absolute garbage, with nobody staying out long because the water was square-edged curbstones and the wind hitting our sails like big soft hammers. The former are why I moved here, the latter not even worth sailing ... except for the occasional 20-minute sets of big rollers for those who happened to be there at the moment.

Oh, and don't get tempted to turn on terrain like that, Jesus ... Waddell sailors tell us it can't be done. Wink

Mike \m/
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: swell Reply with quote

Monster swell, JJ! Love it! But I'm reporting you to the SPCA regarding those two English Sheep Dogs you sacrificed staging the photo.

There were some ocean-sized big fatties at Rufus between 5 and 7pm this afternoon. Nobody else out there either. Kinda scary. I was so lucky to get that wind (34-43); the previous afternoon bulge in the wind was almost unsailable and not desirable. I would say the swell was excellent during this time. The cool thing was the current was pulling very hard so I could get huge swell rides on the far side and then need only one starboard reach to get back to where I started from.

Dams are spilling a lot of water. MUST ride swell at this time of year at Rufus, otherwise you don't make it back to your launch spot, especially if you've spent any significant time down in the water.

Check out this horseshoe-shaped monster (front and back) east of Doug's. My swell is bigger...
IN MY PANTS!!!

fat swell at Doug's Beach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  476.79 KB
 Viewed:  11251 Time(s)

fat swell at Doug's Beach.jpg

berky

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
berky wrote:

Man, I wish that were true. Too much also depends on gustiness, subtle variations in direction, and of course current. A 5.0 day can get bigger than a 3.0 day if everything works together, and that's not even counting current.

My point exactly! To ask how the swell will run in advance of season is like trying to predict when I should buy tickets to Oahu for big wave riding...

If all the variables align to create big swell, there will be big swell. If not, then no big swell. There is no way to predict what those variables will be and do in advance of any given season.

Therefore, I find the original questions rather, uhh... meaningless.

Case in point: I want to plan a ski trip next winter. Which mtn range will have the most snow?
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Last year Reply with quote

Quote:
{Therefore, I find the original questions rather, uhh... meaningless.}

Jesus Jones; Last year the swell was huge and consistent and the variables where in place. It was just an innocent question to try and generate some positive chatter, share experiences, cool pictures, whatever. I can see your point as well; I guess it could be considered meaningless? I guess anything that has variables and is questioned is just a big waste of time, what’s the use? Now go ahead and comment about what a passive asshole I am, or whatever negative crap you want to spew, it’s ok I can take it.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Jones; Last year the swell was huge and consistent and the variables where in place. It was just an innocent question to try and generate some positive chatter, share experiences, cool pictures, whatever. I can see your point as well; I guess it could be considered meaningless? I guess anything that has variables and is questioned is just a big waste of time, what’s the use? Now go ahead and comment about what a passive asshole I am, or whatever negative crap you want to spew, it’s ok I can take it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: