myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to Live?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Where to Live? Reply with quote

Although I've SCUBA dived in the the Miami / Keys area more than a few times during the summer, I've never tried to windsurf there. I'm considering a place to hide during the winter months (November - February) and I'm considering Florida on the Gulf side (good prices and fairly new condo's). So far thinking maybe in the Naples / Ft. Meyers area.

Is there any good wind that time of the year? What size gear? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Cocoa Beach to Jupiter Inlet, there are more ways to enjoy the water in the winter months than Ft Myers. More free water access, more waves, more to do.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what those in the know have told me, the diving in the winter along the Treasure or Space coast isn't any good due to poor visibility. The winds are o.k., but not like those places which have some repute for sailing. I found that the sport best suited to Florida winters was bicycling. However, it's been claimed that the keys have more wind than the rest of the state. To top it off, I would never recommend being a full time resident unless you are prepared to see your home destroyed in a Hurricane.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Live? Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Any other recommendations?

N or S Padre Island.
Baja.
Costa Rica.
New Mexico.
Jeri.
Switch sports (to dirt bikes, snowmobiles, mountain biking, hiking, 4-wheeling, and/or skiing/snowboarding) and go to Utah, which IMO is easily one of the greatest playgrounds on the continent. If it had better WSing I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: