myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sails at Ocean beach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryandlange

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean beach newbie here. Started surfing and paddling (stand up) at OB last year and decided to give sailing it a chance for the first time this January. Got about 6 sessions so far under my belt this year. Sailed at Sloat a couple of times (frightening) on a South wind during and post storm and the rest at Kelly's or the beach chalet on a NW wind.

Couldn't agree more with Epenrose's post, surfing or paddling OB will give you a really good idea of what to expect and how to navigate it. Waves are always bigger than they look from the parking lot and from the shore and there will always be a few monster waves that will creep up out of nowhere. At the north end of the beach i always rig the same thing - 5.3 and my 99l JP freestyle board (i weigh +/_ 195 lbs). Sounds like a big board and sometimes its a lot of board on the outside but its the perfect setup since its not down the line wavesailing and you need the volume on the inside to get out where its light and the white water can be a bit unruly. On one session at Kelly's I got rolled by a series of big ones on the outside, got separated from my gear and faced a 15-20 minute swim in rather large surf. If you're not a strong swimmer, think carefully about sailing here . The waves also hold a tremendous amount of power (compared to Dillon/Dav/Waddell) and while i haven't broken (windsurfing) gear there yet, this is a reasonably likely outcome if you're learning the ropes at OB or if you get rolled.

Try to sail with someone you know and trust. I've thoroughly enjoyed sailing there - It's a great place to sail and totally challenging.
esteban

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: wave sailing locally Reply with quote

nice to see the OB sailing tips, thanks Guys i will look for the SE wind days looks like it could be fun...does that mean you are going DTL on lefts with side on wind?

BTW, Tubamancha is insane when it sets ups good but it needs a swell angle of less than 300 degrees to have waves and if Bodega & Tomales are reading at least 20 the wind should be good. I sail there when it is good and often by myself. Check it on googleearth it is almost a 3 mile sail upwind to the mouth of Drakes estero from Limantour beach, takes about 25 minutes to get to the break but it is so beautiful once you get there and DTL wavesailing with long rides when conditions are on, beach break with Punta San Carlos like conditions when all the plantes align

Watch out for Whitey!! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: