myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is the wind dying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the sensor, only on the sail I've been riding and
how much I weigh. Faith in forecast is a funny thing, but I do sorta
understand the weather models ;*) , and yes, it is a big bonus to
be able to look out my back window and see Wells Island, and an even
bigger bonus to be at the Hackery in 15 Minutes.

Hope to catch you on the water or the beach sometime this season,
after today, I'm out making money for the next 10 days.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
It was up and down...

p.s. I'll be riding a 4.7 tomorrow as well.

Up and down is OK with me: ripslog, a la The Wall in NW winds, is not. 10 or 30 approximates a 10:1 power change, sometimes a few times per minute; I'll pass. And 20 mph is 6.2, not 4.7, for me, maybe 5.7 at the Hatchery; is the sensor that far off this year?

You have more faith in isolated forecasts than I do. Even when the forecasts agree, I almost never know whether, let alone what, I can sail "tomorrow". When some forecasts are for zip/squat, I don't drive 'til I see the whites of its eyes, a gradient, and proof that it's not a fluke caused by a passing squall. But look at Tuesday's forecast from iW's vaunted math model at 6AM: very light east winds at the Hatchery. Ain't no way I'm getting up in the middle of the night and driving 300 miles round trip for that, nor pre-rigging a 4.7. Besides, the only sailable wind it's forecasting for today/Tuesday is at Arlington/Roosevelt, for one hour, near dusk.

Being able to catch brief sessions is a big advantage of living/hanging out in the corridor; you guys enjoy it. As I've said ... now that I live near the Gorge, I sail less than when I lived 1,300 miles away and played VanMan all summer. When I have more confidence AND it's not going to make it out east AND it's more reliable AND it's not a summer weekend, I'll be there.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
very well dialed on my old 4.7 ... sailing straight through the few down times with same 4.7 ... almost no slogging at all. ... doing everything I want to do, while many folks are struggling to just keep control in gusts / keep from slogging in the lulls..... re-rigging all day long....

Better skill? Masochism? Better attitude? Lower Expectations? Proximity? Greater low-end power? Different sailing style? Memory fade? Hatch sensor shadow? Real differences between the corridor and farther east this spring? The fact that these many wind whining threads started before the wind did? The frequent great-looking forecasts that fall apart? The fact that I use a half to a full meter bigger sail than many of you? My visceral, medically-based hatred of chop? Any or all could explain the difference between the views of one person vs another.

But when you say you're enjoying a 4.7 when the sensor is reading mid-teens, I've got to guess the sensor is in a really, really bad location for recent wind directions. Andy and the hatchcam support that, and it often puts most of the wind over in the Oregon chop.

Mike \m/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop begging Isobars to rip the corridor. He made his decision to move out east and has a plethora of reasons why you guys are all wrong.

Clearly, not a damn one of you has had any fun on the river in a week!

We'll NEVER see the days Isobars has seen on the H2O! He rigs bigger, sails faster, turns harder, and preaches more than any of you. Hell, if someone said they had VD, he'd have the rarest strain known to man.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, alright, alright.... I confess.... I made it all up. Yep, just another lavish illusions of grandeur. Naaaaw, I didn't have such a great time in that swell zone (Washington side) at the Hatch...... it was ALL nothin' but chop, chop, chop, horrible conditions, you should steer clear, worst nightmare.

Wow, like, I feel better now for coming clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: