myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badvb750

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Seattle Reply with quote

So I'm looking to relocate next year and Seattle is on my list. I'm wondering what the windsurf communtiy is like in Seattle. What are the wind and sailing spots like? Thanks for any input.
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwwwwww!
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big gear and light winds in the summer. Kiting is more popular these days than summer wind surfing. Various places around Puget Sound, which even in mid-summer is still low 50's water temp.

Winter is storm-front sailing which is more gorge-like - small gear and waves in Puget Sound. Some places can get pretty hair raising since a break down means you may be heading for open ocean. But it is hit/miss to catch a storm front in the right place at the right time - you have to be ready to cancel meetings and drop everything because you never really know if its gonna blow until it happens.

I live in Seattle in the winter but have only sailed there a once in the last 3 years. I just ski and then head to Maui in the spring and the gorge in the summer.
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It is not really that bad, I sailed there for 15 years and found wind after or during work quite often. Puget Sound and Lake Washington have both small and large sail sailing. More info is available on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NW-WINDTALK/. Sailed all year around using a 5/3 wet suit with a hood vest. there is a fair sized group of high wind sailors there and also a group of formula sailors. I found the near by ski slopes got very crowded in the recent years so went totally in to windsurfing. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: