myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wow, the Hatch cam looks great!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Wow, the Hatch cam looks great!!! Reply with quote

Updated to 720p 6:9? Looks great....Thx.

swell.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.53 KB
 Viewed:  10760 Time(s)

swell.jpg

surh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. It'll be hard to hide from when you want to keep that secret solo session to yourself. Smile
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surh wrote:
Very nice. It'll be hard to hide from when you want to keep that secret solo session to yourself. Smile

It does just miss Cheap and Swell, but your right one has to be careful to stay out of the view of our overseers (not to be confused with our overlords).

simpsonsaliens.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.61 KB
 Viewed:  10642 Time(s)

simpsonsaliens.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks great from a technical standpoint, but, MAN, is it frustrating. I'm looking at 6:30 Tue AM, in the 4th of July week, at wind in the mid 20s with nice swell and only ONE VEHICLE/SAILOR IN SIGHT! It's frustrating on so many levels:
1. I couldda had the place to myself for 1 hour and 45 minutes already.
2. Last night's forecast called for crappy wind today so I gave no thought to driving in.
3. Even if I left home right now, by the time I got there the zoo would be in full swing before I got there at 9.
4. Sunday's mob gave me the (apparently wrong) impression that this July 4th week is up to its old standards (shoulder to shoulder from the bridge to west of Swell). Obviously it's not.
5. Dawn Patrol! DAWN PATROL!!! Down from old norms by 90% the past several years, we've had a decent number of them this year, mostly unforecast. (see below)
6. Living this far out east is biting me in the butt lately, for a change.
7. Now .... do I drive in this evening or at 2 AM tomorrow in the hopes of another false pessimistic forecast, or do I naively trust that my forecast money is being spent wisely and pass? (Usually that drive has been a bust.)
8. Now, at 7, the wind has suddenly puked, reinforcing my original call. Thank God for small favors ... unless, of course, it kicks right back in and stays.
9. And here's the kicker: In a measly two-line paragraph, iW's new forecast this morning significantly contradicts itself by juxtaposing last night's weak forecast with today's observations:
"Central Gorge: Very strong start w/ mid 20s at Swell City.... Upper teens / low 20s can be expected with winds starting out on the gusty side."

Damn, but I miss sports not so completely dependent on weather.

Mike \m/
flaherty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent 3 weeks in the Gorge, the first time I've been here. sail on Cape cod. I sailed almost every day except for 3 days. most days 4.2 or 3.7 Granted I weigh 145 lbs, but most were rigging 4.7 when i rig a 4.2
Sailed Swell,Rowena,maryhill,Dougs,Roosevelt , 3 mile. I missed two late day sails at Maryhill, after Swell got gusty, that a friend made the drive from HR and got. I'm impressed with the wind and the swell, it's fun sailing. Sadly leaving.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's GREAT, on several levels. You timed it well, as May was unusually lame, but maybe more important, you moved around. I've run across people who have lived in their vans and pickups for years, sailing virtually full time, who have never sailed anywhere but the Corridor, >90% at HatchDoug's. You experienced a wider variety of the Gorge in three weeks than some of them do in hundreds of weeks.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Yes, it looks great from a technical standpoint, but, MAN, is it frustrating. I'm looking at 6:30 Tue AM, in the 4th of July week, at wind in the mid 20s with nice swell and only ONE VEHICLE/SAILOR IN SIGHT! It's frustrating on so many levels:
1. I couldda had the place to myself for 1 hour and 45 minutes already.
2. Last night's forecast called for crappy wind today so I gave no thought

Mike \m/

Forecasting has not been great by iW and I am not trying to bash them but they are East Coasties and newbies. There are some HR locals doing a better job.

8:00am has been the best swell/ session for me in the corridor out of the view of the evil eye, all knowing, all seeing, lidless ever watching....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: