myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
suggestions for good wind and waves in nov-dec ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: suggestions for good wind and waves in nov-dec ? Reply with quote

hoping to take 4-5 week windsurf break in nov and or dec, just wondering if anyones got a good suggestion for a spot that has decnt wind, and waves that time of year. not looking for killer waves, id be happy with 5-6 footers. also someplace that would have lots of decent used stuff at a reasonable price that i could pick up quick..or decent rentals.
and not realy looking for a resort type destination, i'd like to be able to rent a vehicle, load the gear and explore a bit..

any suggestions?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatteras North Carolina may be within a drivable distance for you, reducing the need to rent gear and car for 5 weeks. Or, fly to Norfolk (ORF) or Raleigh (RDU) and rent a car there (3 and 4.5 hour drives, respectively). Lots of gear rentals and new/used gear available for purchase once on the island (There are 5 or 6 shops open during that time of year).

Conditions can vary wildly... From 0 mph glassy days (go surfing), to 40+ mph 5 day Nor'easters... 70 degrees with sunshine to 40 degrees with pissing rain... It ain't tropical in December, that's for sure!

Click on the following links to see what November and December 2008 had to offer:

http://lostinhatteras.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html

http://lostinhatteras.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

Hope to see ya in a few months! Feel free to PM if you'd like more info.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, ya, i'll probably end up in hatteras, again. always seem to, i like it there, was just kinda hoping to try something else this time though.
i was actually there for 3 weeks last november, and it freakn snowed... and ice on the puddles, what was up with that? at least the shipwreck on the beach was a kinda interesting show.
at least the first week was pretty good, and i dont mind cool weather but highs of 40f was a bit chilly, even for my canadian blood... but i was still able to get a few sessions in, after i got got a new wetsuit.. so its all good.
3-phase

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Carlos, rent some Windsurf stuff there as well a 4X4 and have fun for a couple weeks in Baja.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

November is pretty good in FL. Not the best month, but more warma than Haterras. That was my first thought BTW. Maybe start there and mosey S as the cold affects? Foley Beach is a great stop over on the way down, as is St Simons, and Hana Park in Jax.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui.

Summer on Maui gets the wind, winter gets the waves, fall gets both (well, that's the theory anyway). Was there for a week and a half a few years ago during the beginning of November- had decent wind and waves every day. (Ok, luck still has something to do with it because the week before they were pretty skunked, but my understanding is that around Oct/Nov is the best time of year and for us, it worked perfect!)

Plus there are plenty of rentals and plenty of places to explore.

Nothing against Hatteras, but that time of year can be cold and there 'aint a whole lot to do (especially if it's 50deg outside).

sm
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belize is good at that time.We usually have big reef breaks but there are smaller protected areas. It can be cheap if you are a sailor who takes advice from locals.
Best sailing is on Caye Caulker. Best tourist trap is Ambergris Caye. Windsurf info on www.cayecaulker.net. You can ask questions from locals on the message board at www.cayecaulker.org about both sites.
It is never cold water or air unless you freeze on a 72 degree day like we do.
urotman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brazil-jeri
u will have wind for sure!!!
nov/dec its the time there are some waves (1m-1.5m) not all the time but five six days for two weeks.
the staying is super cheap and the girls... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: