myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay of Roses, Spain, just returned
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Hola Ole Barcelona BCN Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pics, of course I will be in Barcelona for 3 days and visit the typical places, Ramblas, familia sagrada, Picasso museum etc. Then will travel to Roses and have apartment there, and will go visit the Mistral site near St. Pere to rent equip. and sail.

Question for you if there was one place that I should not miss seeing, what do you recommend?

I dont know if they allow equip to travel to go to Cadaques to sail but I will visit Cadaques and Figures.

I was told by a friend that near Leucate there's flat water sailing, if this is off shore it might be tricky for my companions with more limited skills.

Is your home north of the bay in Cadaques?

Saludos, y anticipando visitar tu pais... Max
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Picasso museum should not be missed. My favorite museum in all of Europe. Prado in Madrid is not bad, like the Louvre it is big. The National Gallery in London 2nd best.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

THanks Andy, it is in my to do list.

Max
OleBCN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: CADAQUES Reply with quote

Yes, my home is just north of the Cadaques bay.
If you are in Figueres, visit the Dali Museum. It is really cool.
Also, el Bulli is the restaurant of the best chef in the world. It is in Roses.You need to book 3 years in advance, but you may get lucky if you show up and they had a cancellation.
The Picasso Museum in BCN is not that great. I sould go to the Miro (fundacion Miro in Montjuich) museum instead. It is close to the Olympic Stadium, also wirth visiting.
Try also the Parc Guell.

As for Leucate, you can sail bayside or on the beach. The bayside is very safe: shallow and protected.

In the seaside, you can go to La Franqui, just North of Leucate. Mistral is offshore: perfect for speed sailing and freestyling.

BR.

Ole
madmax7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Thank you all ... Reply with quote

just got back from Spain had a great time and enjoyed some incredible winds,

Thanks for all advice provided,

Max[/img]
blake64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too cool, madmax. sounds like you nailed it. well done

I want/Need to go there someday. I have been told so many great things about Spain...

BLAKE
madmax7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Tarifa, Sevilla vs. Barcelona... Reply with quote

Blake,

Been to both Tarifa and Bay of Roses (Barcelona), I really enjoyed the variety at Barcelona, Tarifa area not as exciting...

However, all depends what you want out of your trip...If you want to mix it up, Barcelona has so much to offer, Bay is just over an hour north, and the whole costa brava is sailable and beautiful. There is also France so close by, and the mountain range to the North.

You want travel plans for 2 weeks of incredible vacation? Drive the coast of Costa Brava and into France?

I've also sailed the French Medi in case you have questions, sometime in the future I must/want to do Italy. Suggestions anyone? anyone?

Max
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Costa Brava Reply with quote

I'll be in the Barcelona / Costa Brava area for a couple of weeks in September. It's not a "windsurfing vacation," but if I have time, I might try to get up to the Club Mistral at the Bay of Roses for a couple of days. Is it possible to just rent equipment for a day or two? Or is it required to book a multi-day package in advance? Is there anywhere else in the area to rent gear? Also, what's the water temperature like in early-mid September? Will a 2mm shorty be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Brian
madmax7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: renting gear at Costa Brava Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

Yes it is possible to rent for a few hours or the day, I think I rented for just a couple of hours, I tried for to do more but those winds kicked my butt. It was gusting to almost 40 and then holes so a bit of work.

I dont know how it is in Sept. but the wind that I sailed was their Northern and it was a bit cool so I used the shorty. With their thermals I kited with a top only.

If you go to the Mistral shop, their Bar/restaurant has a spaniard/claims to be a fisherman preparing food and he brags about making the best paella dish. But you have to order the day before so he can get you the fresh fish. its worth the trouble, I'm not much for shell fish but I devoured his paella. Tell him Max the chilean from California says hello.

Enjoy, Max

PS the nude beach is to the right as you stare at the ocean...
fluffystuff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Barcelona area Reply with quote

It's been awhile since anyone posted here but if there's anyone out there??
Should a windsurfer move to Barcelona?
Will there be enough local 5.0 ish days or will I end up driving all over the place every weekend?
I'm guessing it's probably better than Canada, where it's freezing and dark for 5 months of the year.

Thank-you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: