myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Missing windsurfer located in Barnstable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
I brought up leashes and was quickly silenced...

Brucie, could it be that others were simply sick of your endless supply of horse manure?

sailing wrote:
Where I sailed Monday, I was all alone all day long except for some crazy woman who was lurking out on Dead Neck wrapped in a polyethylene bag that was tattered and flying in the wind.

So, that makes two froot loops on the beach. One in a plastic bag, the other trying to sail. The woman in the bag clearly had more common sense.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:

sailing wrote:
Where I sailed Monday, I was all alone all day long except for some crazy woman who was lurking out on Dead Neck wrapped in a polyethylene bag that was tattered and flying in the wind.

So, that makes two froot loops on the beach. One in a plastic bag, the other trying to sail. The woman in the bag clearly had more common sense.

hey be careful that might have been his mom ! or potential girlfriend.. Laughing
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:

hey be careful that might have been his mom ! or potential girlfriend.. Laughing

Mom, maybe. Girlfriend, doubtful. After all, Brucielives in the Enchanted Forest. Wink
jedwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Good to hear that you are OK, sounds like you had a scary experience and I can relate to that, as I just about went down for the count on the same day. Here's my story:

Me and my friend Vic were sailing Narragansett Bay out of the Ferry Road launch site on Monday on my 4.7, with head high swell and N/NE wind ranging from about 25 - 35 kts. Everything was going great for about an hour when I was jibing on a wave and before I knew it I was in the water holding my boom as my board broke loose and decided to go surfing on its own. I immediately started for my board but could not catch it, despite swimming furiously. I soon lost sight of it and found myself in the middle of the bay with nothing to hold on to, so I swam back to my rig and held onto it to rest. After about ten minutes, the rig started sinking and I had no choice but to make a swim for shore.

Unfortunately, the tide was ripping up the bay and for every bit of progress I was making towards the shore, I was getting swept up the bay about twice as far. I swam for about 45 minutes and was reaching the point of total exhaustion and taking in water. I was starting to panic and really thought that this was gonna be the last thing I ever get to do on this earth.

Miracuously, the combination of swimming , some serious praying and the strong currents had lined me up with the last boat mooring in a set of moorings on the western shore south of the jamestown bridge. I just made it by a couple strokes If I had missed it by so much as a yard I dont think I would have been able to continue swimming. I wrapped the rope from the mooring several times around my arm and shoulder and collapsed against it, completely spent.

Meanwhile, Vic had been witnessing this but was unable to sail out due to the lack of wind on shore by this time. Using some quick thinking, he grabbed a rowboat located nearby and made a treacherous and long row upwind. Without his efforts I would have spent a long few hours clinging to that mooring waiting for the tide to slacken so I could finish swimming in. That would have been the best case scenario. I was also losing body heat fast as I only had on a shorty and it wasnt really that warm out there. Luckily I had a good friend that was willing to put himself in harms way to save me.

So, I guess the lesson to pass on here is to be careful and respectful of the sea, it holds many surprises. One minute you could be flying along having a great time, and the next minute swimming for your life.

Also, wear some type of extra flotation. I wasn't, and it almost cost me my life. If I did have a vest, it would have bought me more time out there and more options.

Check your equipment often, especially the mast foot. I am switching over to the two bolt ones for extra safety.

Always sail with a buddy and keep your eyes on each other.

Mark... hopefully you recover your rig. I have a 4.2 wave sail that I'd be happy to give to you if you don't. Let me know.
mwilly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Ed,
Thanks for posting your story, definitely another hairy experience. Yours sounds worse than mine knowing what its like to be tired out and cold (but in a shorty). Its damn good you didn't start cramping. Glad you made it back.
bates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leash is a bad bad idea. It is great that another sailor was keeping an eye out. I think the more eyes out on the water the safer everyone is. Thank you for sharing the story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: