myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Keeping Gear On/In Car in NYC (Crazy?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very different. My post was in direct reply to your off-point post regarding the apparent lack of theft you've experienced -as if your experience in any way shed light on the dilemma facing urban windsurfers and those in NYC in particular.

I then added the side comment to you that directly contradicted your experience in the general place that you live and sail, only to drive home that not only was your post irrelevant to the OP but certainly is not the gospel of gear theft.

I concluded with a short paragraph regarding my personal experiences with keeping gear on my car at different Manhattan locations which is exactly the subject of the OP's query.

Again, your post was about your experience on the other side of a continent in a community that couldn't be more different than Manhattan. My post included my experience in Manhattan. Got it?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
I then added the side comment to you that directly contradicted your experience in the general place that you live and sail

your post was about your experience on the other side of a continent in a community that couldn't be more different than Manhattan.... Got it?

No, I don't "got it"... and I don't give a damn. You haven't a clue where my experience was (it was in a different world far, far from HR), your experience in HR was unrelated to my experience or that in Manhattan, my relevant point was that there are viable alternatives to living in eastern cities where crime is a problem (many people honestly don't know that, as I didn't until I changed my whole life for the better by discovering alternatives), and I'm tired of you telling me what I can or can't post while never never criticizing those who post little BUT totally irrelevant crap (besides Brucie/Sybil) every single day. If you don't like what I post, don't read it.

We'd all appreciate it if you and others would stop trying to shift the focus of so many threads to me.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, perhaps I was a bit harsh with my "Got it?" It wasn't entirely necessary.

What I think I'm not making clear is that your post may be reconstituted as something similar to, "Live away from the city if you don't wish to worry about your gear being stolen." You offered your experience as an example and I commented that your experience apart from Manhattan is irrelevant to the OP. And I chimed in with an example of almost $4,000 of my gear being stolen and a rural town in OR to show how living away from NYC does not remove the theft risk.

So, other than your enthusiasm for sharing your own experience, what point relevant to the OP were you trying to make?
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
We'd all appreciate it if you and others would stop trying to shift the focus of so many threads to me.

Pluralis maiestatis?

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Bravo!

Aranel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in NYC, Park Slope actually, and experience has taught me to never leave anything of valuable outside. Never as in never. It's tempting disaster.

BTW, Long Island is great for sailing but don't neglect the good old Hudson River. We have a group of dedicated (and a bit mental) Hudson River sailors who brave the river on a daily basis. To join up, go to http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/HudsonRiverWindsurfers/ and send an e-mail to the group moderator.

There are lots of great launch sites on the river. You sometimes get the advantage of sailing by some pretty historic places. And I was kidding about that mental comment, kind of.

-Ian
HeyYou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in NYC too.

I would definitely not leave anything on top of a car, or even inside a car if I had a choice. Maybe inside and also well hidden and locked up in a beat up looking van you'd be OK. Maybe.

I will say that in years of keeping cars or bikes there, including some pretty nice Ducati's or Guzzis, I had only a few incidents--a slashed seat on a Yamaha, and a smashed window on a old beat up car.
ukkachizz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tint the windows BLACK. Also, invest in a set of Queen size black bed sheets to cover up the goods. Next, get a reflective sun screen for the front window and use it all the time...summer, winter, day and night. Nobody will ever see anything in the car. It is still a gamble but that is what seems to work for me.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: