myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light wind wave sailing gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesschmitt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: light wind wave sailing Reply with quote

thanx again for the discussion,
I have a motor home and carry 7 boards around: 64 ltr jp wave ,75 ltr naish wave pro,85 ltr naish pro,95 ltr naish pro,103ltr exocet wave pro,117 ltr exocet cross and a shaun ordenez 11'3" sup. I even leave some boards behind in the garage.
Over the years(windsurfing since 1985,wave sailing since 87) I've learned to play to my strength: the young guns can have crap for gear and with all their kinesthetic ability do wonders on the wave face( I admire them);-I throw money at the sport. It evens the playing field. (yes,I am sponsored-by myself)
The exocet 103 ltr is great for moderate surf (logo high wave faces) and up to 6.2 sail size conditions. With sails bigger than this it feels unbalanced and I switch to the 117 ltr exocet cross on which I use a 6.8 and 8.0 wave sail(severne).This works well in down to 12 mph hr of wind, again in moderate surf. The only difficulty is that in these light winds after going down the line I have to spend quite a bit of time slogging back up wind.
Thus in winds less than this I've tended to use the sup.
I have yet to try this board under powered in moderate to big surf for fear of the carnage that would result($3000 worth of gear destroyed) and possible injury,-as I have yet to recieve my government bailout.
I have seen guys on 85 ltr boards and 5.3 sails wave sail in big surf and 6-12 knots of wind slogging and water starting their way out, planing only on the wave face and do it well (Jerry Punt ,Brian Peters at Pistol river where I frequently go); but the evitable result is exhausting swims, long walks, rare injuries, and occasional broken gear.
I want to be all I can be; I( as was said in the most recent star trek movie) am searching for something more.
I appreciate all your help.
Thanx and
cu on the wave face.

Jim
HeyYou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your weight. But it sounds like you want a board with 140 liters or more? I used a Drops Bomber 140 in the waves a few times--it was surprisingly nice. Usually, I can make my Aero 117 work, but if not the 140 does the trick.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the East Coast / FL I know some people who are nuts for the Kona 11.5 and 10.5, which apparently windsurf and waveride really well in planing or non-planing conditions. I've ridden them before, only in flatwater, but I could tell they were really fast and turny and able to cut upwind easily. (They just don't SUP that great.) If you're not using your SUP for SUP, you could swap it for one of the Konas. The AHD sea lion looks cool, too, and might be a better bet if you're worried about damaging a longer board in the surf. Post a report when you get something and try it for the first time. Smile
jamesschmitt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: light wind wave gear Reply with quote

the kona, for me, is a transportation hassle (as is my 11'3" sup).
The sealion looks interesting; any one try one (not connected with the industry)? How does it perform in 6-10 mph of wind? How is it as an sup?
Thanx again.
Jim
hemmy007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Light wind wave sailing gear Reply with quote

jamesschmitt wrote:

Any thoughts on wave gear for light wind days,ie 8-12 mph wind and decent swell.
Jim

I am about 215lbs and my biggest board is 99L and 6.3 wave sail.

Not clear what is the difference between 8 to 12mph vs 2 to 15mph,
if you can waterstart/uphaul, you can pinch up wind and pump up to get going.

I can get out when I can hardly waterstart, when guys at my spot are on Kona 11' SUPs.

Often, any more board or sail (as you have found) just gets in the way.
Is there a reason why your 117L can not work?

SUP is just a longboard with a mast track.
Longboarding is fun in small surf. A longboard
can be challenging to turn
and lacks snap in rail to rail surf.

I have seen the video of the sealion and that looks pretty fun,
snappy in rail to rail turns b/c the board is so short.
Plus, that would not be the storage hassle that the SUP presents.
laci

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socalsail wrote:

Quote:
Laci,

I was thinking it would be fun to have a trifin surfboard that has a mast track or even better a Starboard style pin to affix the Universal Joint (for obvious reasons), and an "easy" way to pop footstraps on and off of a board. For small summer swells even the sufers are on 9+ boards, some of those Surfteck surfboards look like SUPS they're so wide.

Surf until the wind picks up late afternoon, then rig the sail, snap-on some straps and go blast around. Seems like a fun afternoon to me and only one board a couple of sails required

You have more or less described my Starboard 9'8 fish. There is no "easy" way to pop footstraps on and off, but other than that it does essentially what you suggest. The blasting around with the sail part is a little disappointing though, since the board is not particularly fast to plane or that much fun when actually planing. This is where a smaller, more planing oriented board such as the Hifly twin fin actually works better. But you are right, in a pinch one could take just that one board to the beach and be able to get on the water no matter what the conditions.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: