myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Info on small wave/BJ boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution about the Chango 75... try it before you buy it. I tested one from Windance and hated it. Felt there wasn't anything the board did particularly well. Ended up with a Naish Global Wave 78L, which I think is a great board. I've also tried the JP FSW and felt that was a much better board than the Chango. I know other people who have the Chango, one who really likes it and another guy who said its ok, but he would not buy the board again. Not saying its a bad board, I think it comes down to sailing style/preferences. The Naish and JP for me were way better for control, earlier planning and jumping. Again, not trying to pick a fight, just saying that the Chango may not be the ultimate high-wind Gorge board for everyone.
insh8bl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my 09' RRD HC Wave 70 and a 4.2; the combo is close to orgasmic. Very Happy
blythefly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're straying off the point in discussing boards in the 70-80 liter range for a "for lightweight intermediate lady sailor on big days".

I'm a lightweight guy at about 140 lbs and would definitely not buy anything bigger than what you mentioned in your original post (65 liters). The choices below that volume are pretty limited in production boards given the shrinking market and, perhaps, expanding waistlines of the average windsurfing population. Smile

Might be best to get a custom. I did notice that Big Winds has a 65 liter Naish Pro Wave on closeouts; maybe you can demo that. Caution: might be designed for ocean rather than Gorge conditions.

IMHO, FWIW ... given that lightweight, intermediate, and big are subjective terms.
wooot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference... I have a Fanatic freewave 86 above theChango 75 works great for me in the 4.2 to 5.2 + range. definitely a little more nervous than the Chango, but for my weight in this sail range... absolutely awsome.

Before the Chango had the Fanatic freewave 77 (among others)... was gonna be my super high wind board. Certainly planes a bit better and needs less power than the Chango... but when things got to Way powered to totally overpowered 3.7... totally out of countrol.... which is not exactly what I was hoping for "spray on the water conditions" The Chango fixed all that for me... but I certaily don't take it out in marginal stuff or underpowered.

The Fanatic Freewave 77, on the other hand, would be (in my opinion) an awsome board for someone in who is lightweght to middle weight in the 4.2 to 5.2+ windrange where the Water and wind conditions arent quite so frantic
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blythefly wrote:
Might be best to get a custom. I did notice that Big Winds has a 65 liter Naish Pro Wave on closeouts; maybe you can demo that. Caution: might be designed for ocean rather than Gorge conditions.

If I didn't already have way too many 60-65-liter custom Gorge boards for 2.8 to 5.2 winds @ 190#, I'd LEAP at that 65-liter Pro Wave. My 80 L Pro Wave is an absolute marvel for the Gorge from nicely powered 3.7 to way powered 5.7. For most conditions it is generally my top choice from my pile of 80-L-ish boards. Some of my 80s plane earlier, some ride more smoothly when overpowered in chop, and some are faster, but only one of my boards matches the Pro Wave in total trust and precision when slicing and dicing small or large swell powered up at speed. I can only imagine what it would do @ 15 liters smaller. 65 liters sounds big for a 100-pounder in high winds, but it would get you back better than 55L when the wind dies.

Mike \m/
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After riding most 65 ltr boards of various composition, I think the Chango 68 is the most useful board for a small woman. I use it as my big board and can sail it in 3.3 conditions as well. It will babysit an intermediate sailor in all conditions; the footstrap placement should be no problem for a petite sailor - you will want your straps a little wider for swell riding anyway. It turns easy, its light, an easy jumper and its the best bang for your buck.
wmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 140 pounds I sail both the Chango 75 and Chango 65. I sail the 75 from 5.3 to 4.2 and the 65 from 4.2 to 2.7. Even though they are wave boards they work very well in the gorge. This week I also used the Realwind 68 liter board with 3.2 and 3.7 sails and found that both boards work very well for me for swell riding, jumping, and bump and jump. These comparisons were done at the Hatch and the Wall.
gwandsh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - good info here.

Mike - the 68 liter RW board you tried - what model was that?
wmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Realwind 240 Reply with quote

The one I have sailed is the 240 Power Surf, the smallest that they have made. This season I have sailed it about 6 hours in 4 sessions.

http://www.realwind.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=120
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 68L RealWind that Mike is referring to is the "baby blue" one.
See quite a few of the ladies riding those.

I have a Starboard Evo 70L for my small board. It sails quite a bit differently than the other wave boards I tried - but I really like it. I think they make this in a 66L as well (BigWinds). The Evo is a bit wider than your typical waveboard, but still cuts through the chop like a hot knife.

Always try before you buy though - as mentioned above: one man's dream board is another man's swapmeet nightmare.
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: