myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Clatskanie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Clatskanie Reply with quote

anyone been sailing Jones Beach?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time is near. As Portland heats up, all Jones Beach/Nuclear Alley needs to blow like stink is a cool-down in Astoria. Not only can it be the steadiest wind you'll ever see on the Columbia, but it can -- and apparently often does in August -- blow hard 20 hours a day for a week or more (and run 80/50s day/night while the corridor runs 110/80). Any corridor WSing visitors baking in the Dog Days of August who don't realize that area is a valid part of a Gorge trip is missing a lot of wind for no reason other than ignorance of its charms.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is fun to sail there even with the negatives....ATV's, crazy fisherman, fast ships (not a slow barge) with a huge shadow, sensor reads way low, getting skunked on a 100 degree day and make sure you have 4x4 if you park in the sand.

On strong NW wind days Kalama can be fun, not this week though, Jones is the call.
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please keep posting here about whats going on this week and in August'
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed plenty of good sesh's back in the 80's -90's, but as I understand it, things have changed at Jones Beach. I hear that crime (break-ins) and the local vibe have become more sinister towards wind sports folks.... true? Probably better to park and launch on the Washington side?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even worse than in the '80s and '90s? THAT'S scary. I've heard that from other sources, too, as well as "Oh, we sail at Jones all the time and never see any problems."

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave my wife in the car, cause I don't have a dog.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's she packing ... 12 Ga, or Glock?

Mike
vmcleod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kiting there last week and found the locals to be friendly, but the ATVs are loud and dusty. It is sandblast beach anytime the wind is up unless you are right down by the water. I choose to be somewhere else at night because of late night drinking and carousing.

It's tidal water so check the current. Here's a reference a few miles downstream:
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Cathlamet+Channel%2C+SE+of+Nassa+Point%2C+Washington+Current+%2819d%29

Waves are better on the WA side but parking is limited (although you can easily sail over from Jones Beach) and no overnight option, unless you go the the marina at Cathlamet.

Vaughn
mccoyms

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones Beach is my favorite place to sail. That's mostly because I live 15 minutes away. Most of the summer the wind is incredibly consistent all afternoon into the evening. There are decent waves when the tide is going out. I prefer the Washington side for launching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: