myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CARLOS on 'the' swell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: CARLOS on 'the' swell Reply with quote

For those wondering....
Carlos was a genuine double-overhead on the sets during this big S. Light and late wind Thur/Fri/Sat (a tropical influence shut Carlos down) but those sailors in the know got out for some epic light-wind down-the-line while the kiters were still putting their panties on. Ezzy (jnr.) was smacking lips in the bowl like a wildman. Some carnage on the water with a SUP-er connecting his face with his paddle and needed to be med-evac'd out by one of the planes, several rescues and a few broken masts.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...PICS!!!!!!!
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here you go!!

Day 1: Friday
Bombed down the road early in the morning and got to Solosports at about 2:00pm. Met up with both new and familiar faces in the camp and on the bluff. Skies were pretty cloudy and didn't think it was going to blow. But there was a little wind picking up around 4:00 and the swell was firing. Gotta try! Jumped out on the water in the light wind, but enough to ride my new favorite board, Pocket Wave 80L and my 5.3 Manic (rode that combo the entire trip!) Graham Ezzy came out bobbing and ripping as well- that was pretty much the theme for the day for everyone. Everyone was catching some great rides and with the swell was hitting logo to mast high, there was plenty of carnage to go along with it! Sailed til about sunset and then it was time for the Solosports Cantina for a cocktail or two......or three....or....

Day 2: Saturday
Swell was still churning out mast highs and the wind started picking up as we hit lunchtime. Fueled up with some body gasoline and went out. Still light wind, but plenty on the wave. Sailed for about 6 hours straight. Finished with a nice offshore sesh watching the sunset. Limped back into camp for a cocktail or.......

Day 3: Sunday
Wind is up early and people were sailing by 10:45am. More body fuel in the morning and got in a sesh for a couple hours. Swell was fading quick, but there were occasional logo highs coming in. With a slightly different direction, the Point wasn't working as much and all the action was up at the Beachbreak. Back in for a lunch, then back on the water to catch the last of the swell....then.... well, you know.....

Day 4: Monday
Swell was still lingering and it was getting windy EARLY! Sailors on the water by 10:00am! Oh my...body can't take anymore! I've gotta get outta here!! Bombed back home to SB. Hope to see some of you down there October 10th - 17th!!

All photos courtesy of Clark Merritt.
-Kev

Day 1-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.25 KB
 Viewed:  11461 Time(s)

Day 1-1.jpg

Day 1-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.44 KB

Day 1-2.jpg

Day 1-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.95 KB

Day 1-3.jpg

Day 2-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.9 KB

Day 2-1.jpg

Day 2-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.08 KB

Day 2-2.jpg

pacspeed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick!!!!! Cant wait to be back. Regrettably that ain't til April. Odd it's that cloudy in mid summer. Is that normal? What were the temps like? I see youre still full suitin it.
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some carnage!! That's what we all really want to see, right?
You sick people......

Carnage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.97 KB
 Viewed:  11451 Time(s)

Carnage.jpg

loopless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!

PS Kevin has a good attitude on the water and is a great guy to share the waves with. He takes his fair share of waves and rips, but doesn't make life tough for us mere mortal sailors!
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT weekend in PSC.

Breaking a mast in the chili bowl was not so fun though Sad

P1020159_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.73 KB
 Viewed:  11295 Time(s)

P1020159_2.jpg

Kevinmc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pac- Yeah, the clouds were a bit unusual. I think it was that monsoon stuff that unexpectedly pushed towards the coast. High clouds, but warm, heard it drizzled a bit earlier in the day. By night, the sky was full of stars again, though. Water temps were a hair colder than I expected, but not too bad. I like my warmth, so I stuck with my short sleeve full. Lets me stay out longer without tightening up. Graham was in a shorty the whole time with no probs. The way he was ripping, it didn't look like he was tightening up at all.

Andrew- Thanks for the kind words! I love watching everyone else have a good ride out there! Great conditions sure make the stoke contagious!

Alex- Don't regret breaking the mast, too much. You're now just part of a very LARGE club! Great to see ya down there ripping up some slides!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: