myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thoughts on Northwave/new park launch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmayer_h2o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
CGWA had control of the settlement money from Doug's? I suppose it makes sense, but if that is the case CGWA owes the public an accounting of where all it has spent it. I am certainly curious what is left (if anything), and where it has gone.

The rest of the funds were used to send the CGWA board to Maui this winter for a week - just kidding - the organization is still deciding how to allocate the remaining funds, in cooperation with the Gorge Commission and the Railroad, as required in the settlement. If you feel strong about where to spend the funds, you're welcome to get involved.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Northwave/new park launch Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
What's the name for the new launch just west of the Event Site but before the Hook? I have been calling it "the launch near Northwave" but there must be a name for it. The new Hood River waterfront park?

Anway, now that they have opened up the grass and comleted the park facilities, it is pretty nice.

I think there is a big sign sign that says "Jensen Beach" at the spot your referring to which is just to the East of "The Hood River Waterfront Park." I think the same sign, or another in close proximity, reminds visitors to limit their parking to the gravel portion of the lot.

FYI: I've observed that parking on the paved portion of the lot without the permission of the building's tenants can become a point of contention.

CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new park - carpet Reply with quote

gorgeview wrote:
re Carpet;
That opening was specifically Designed and CREATED this spring, from your comments and with permission from the Port, to keep a path for rigs and so windsurfers would not block and knock pedestrians on the concrete walkway like we did last summer. The pathway is just so heavily used and it doesn't provide enough room to have allow folks carrying gear up to 10 ft across walking all the way down to the steps to launch. Please try to keep all pathways and drive throughs clear.

I strongly AGREE with gorgeview's comments and would suggest that if you observe people parked in a place that restricts access you very kindly and patiently remind them that they risk ruining the space for everyone. This is a "shared" use area and as I understand it, provided as a privilege, not a right.

Maybe another sign is appropriate, and/or the establishment of a pick/up - drop off area like there is at The Hatchery.

CGW2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Doug's Settlement Money Reply with quote

CGWA mails two newsletters per year to our members. The winter newsletter includes a financial wrap up for the year. You can review the 2008 information below.

If you'd like to see this information as it comes out, please help us improve Gorge windsurfing by becoming a member of the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association.

In addition to recieving information about upcoming events and issues, you'll also recieve a membership card that can save you money at local shops and even national ones (like Enterprise Rental Cars)!

Here are some of the projects membership donations have funded over the years:
- Building the Hook changing room and those nice new ramps around the Hook
- Creating Jensen beach
- Hosting windsurfing camps and clinics for local kids, including participants of Big Brothers and Big Sisters, and Betties 360
- Free supervised drop in sessions for kids inside the Hook (check it out tonight, from 5-7pm, inside the Hook! All the gear is provided, just drop off your kid to meet fellow youth windsurfers and have fun!)
- Working with regional entities to build & maintain Rowena, Viento, the Event Site, Doug's Beach, the Hatchery

CGWA opened its doors in 1987, when windsurfers were relatively new to the Gorge and needed a united voice to represent their need for beaches. Many of the beaches in the Gorge would not have been built had it not been for some of the original CGWA Board members who put in time and labor, both testifying to regional government groups and digging out holes for bathrooms and parking lots. Most notably is Fred Noble, who even has a bathroom named after him at Viento for all the time he's put into Gorge windsurfing and CGWA.

Thank you to Fred, all past and current Board members and staff, and to all the members who have allowed CGWA to thrive for so many years! While the possibility of developing new launch sites in the Gorge is somewhat limited due to other cultural, natural, and economic restrictions, we keep this door open by maintaining positive relationships with regional partners. And in the meantime, we work to improve the existing beaches and build the youth windsurfing community in the Gorge.

Chances are, if you windsurf in the Gorge you've benefited from CGWA's services. If you'd like to make a donation or join our membership, click here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly, either through an iwindsurf pm or email cgwa@gorge.net, or come on by the office (202 Oak St, Suite 150).

Thanks! Have fun in the cool breeze today.

-Katie Crafts
Executive Director

P.S. If the picture below is hard to read, please email cgwa@gorge.net and I'll email you a picture directly.

Winter 08.jpg
 Description:
CGWA 2008 Financial Statement
 Filesize:  381.27 KB
 Viewed:  12273 Time(s)

Winter 08.jpg

dghmiel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I served on the Park Development Committee when we applied for the in-water permits. 3 things we did right:

We hired a landscape team that is familiar with state and federal permitting issues and designed the waterfront to enhance fish habitat -- cut the bank rather than extend out into the river, add plants etc.

Included hydro engineers who worked with the corps throughout the design process to get their buy in early.

Allowed enuf time for permit processing to get approvals for construction during the limited 3 month 'fish window' in the early spring.

The HR waterfront park project didn't cost a great deal for permitting because it was deemed habitat improvement as compared to the Event Site which required extensive off site mitigation as part of the permitting process.

It takes a while but it can be done

Christine Knowles
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmayer_h2o wrote:
scottwerden wrote:
CGWA had control of the settlement money from Doug's? I suppose it makes sense, but if that is the case CGWA owes the public an accounting of where all it has spent it. I am certainly curious what is left (if anything), and where it has gone.

The rest of the funds were used to send the CGWA board to Maui this winter for a week - just kidding - the organization is still deciding how to allocate the remaining funds, in cooperation with the Gorge Commission and the Railroad, as required in the settlement. If you feel strong about where to spend the funds, you're welcome to get involved.

I am not a kiter but I still think it sux that the Klickitat sandbar seems to be a contentious issue with the RR. Give em a over-crossing or something. Anything that helps us all spread out more up and down the river is a plus for everyone.
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I would love to see the funding go towards improving access at Lyle/Klickitat . That's just an on-going issue there. A crossing over the railroad tracks like they have at Doug's could be a solution. Alternatively, a path underneath the bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: