myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sprauge lake washington
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple updates about Sprague:

Went to the campground today (north side) and it blew pretty well, in the 15-20 range for the most part from sw, then w, then some wnw. A little gusty... a 6.5m was good enough from noon until 4pm with some blows in the 25+ range around 1pm.

Fun EXCEPT FOR THE FRIGGIN WEEDS, MAN. Geez, floating wads of 5lb masses of sea grass. Wonderful stuff. Just when you think you're safe on a reach, there's a nagging tug, you look down and presto, you got a string hanging out the back. I didn't use a weed fin today as the one I have for my big board is for bigger sails, but next time it's weed fin only. Too frustrating otherwise.

A couple other guys from the Spokane area showed up too.

Word on the south side corral is NO. Apparently there used to be a deal with the land owner for a group of sailers to anti up a small yearly fee, but some boneheads screwed that up by not paying. The owner (name omitted) got rightly pissed and had locked the gate for sometime after that. I was there on Sunday, but didn't know about the past fiasco until today (the lady at the campground knows the corral owner's name).

So short story is, access by either the campground (currently $3/day) or the fish & wildlife launch on the southside (permit required - not avail on site).

At least for the near future, buy stock in weed fins and bring your quiver.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aprague Lake Sailing Reply with quote

nwwindsurf wrote:
Mike/isobar must have had a big burrito there at some point

Couldn'ta been me ... I don't smoke.

Mike \m/
30knotwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was my first sesh at Sprague in 5 years and it'll be be another 5 years, when I am desperate enough again, before I go back--maybe not even then. The neon green sludge on the shoreline, double dark brown water, massive clumps of floating, stringy weeds and a pungent aromatic combination of fertilizer and 'ranch' waste were too much for me to handle. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll be doing my light wind, local sailing on Long Lake at Tum Tum, WA: great launch west of town, clear water, and early afternoon wind on strong S, SW or NE days. Sure it's down river of the Upriver Dam Superfund site Embarassed , but I'm thinking the heavy metal sediment is long gone by the time it gets to Long Lake (fingers crossed)! Hey, that's what county health says.

Fact is: for windsurfers, getting on a plane around Spokane is a brutal endeavor. It's best to grin and bear it, waiting for those sweet far East weekends in the Gorge. Locally, I'll settle for light wind skill work, which is something my high wind sailing needs anyhow.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How badly do ya wanna sail?
We drove almost the distance from Spokane to Roosevelt (210 miles, and Port Kelley is closer)) every time we got an afternoon of wind in NM (175-200 miles). It's just a matter of dedication ... aka obsession, desperation, etc. At least one Spokane resident does exactly that when warranted.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: