myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing sites around Provincetown, MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschmucker2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Sailing sites around Provincetown, MA? Reply with quote

I'm spending a few days in Provincetown and am looking for some good launches on the bay side. Your own "sensor notes" and any other tips are much appreciated.

My girlfriend is sometimes upwind challenged, so having a downwind exit point for a given wind direction would be good.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pm sailingjoe. I've heard he has a lot of close friends in P-town. he would know where all the "hot" spots are.
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, Wellfleet harbour would be worth the trip as it's very calm water and enclosed especially up by Great Island.

In P-town., the best spot would be right in the harbour if you can deal with boat traffic but the water will be colder and more current than wellfleet

Aranel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any of the beaches on the bay side will do fine. I've done many a sail from Corn Hill Beach in Truro, but the beach conditions are similar everywhere on the Bay. Watch the tide because low tide can get really low: it's ankle-deep wading for a couple hundred yards out. Not many windsurfers off the beach, but there are a few.

I did a long report about this at my blog:

http://hudsonwindsurfer.blogspot.com/2009/08/belated-cape-cod-vacation-report.html

Unfortunately there are no windsurfing pictures because I had to always go out alone. (My kids are pretty cute, though.) Hope this helps.

-Ian
PtownMike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Ptown sailing sites Reply with quote

I sail Ptown harbor all the time. The best launch is the west end boat ramp. From there you can blast to Long Point if the prevailing SW blows. The boat ramp is at about 51 Commercial Street. You can also launch down at Beach Point, near the Truro/Ptown line, but it is very weedy.
If you get blown down wind from the boat ramp, pull in next to the Coast Guard pier, my cottage is on a pier there. Someone will help u out.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Race Pt.? I've always been curious about the windsurfing there. I used to land at the airport and walk into town. Of course it got it's name from yatch racing in the late 19th century.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
How about Race Pt.? I've always been curious about the windsurfing there. I used to land at the airport and walk into town. Of course it got it's name from yatch racing in the late 19th century.

Brucie, Ptown's perfect for you.

Go, stay, don't come back.

BTW..... what's a "yatch"? Is it a Ptown yacht?
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rationalnational wrote:
I would pm sailingjoe. I've heard he has a lot of close friends in P-town. he would know where all the "hot" spots are.

Bruce why are you so full of shiite ? You have been visiting your boyfriends there for years.

And no Brucie, Race Point isn't named for "yacht" racing you stupid dweeb.

A Race is a fast moving current of water around or between land masses.

you are such a tool sometimes we don't know why we bother reminding you.

How many times have you committed suicide in your life ? Do it again it's not working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: