myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kalmus meter VS West Dennis meter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
force5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Kalmus meter VS West Dennis meter Reply with quote

At 6:28 PM Tues 8/18/09 - there was a WIDE divergence in the readings from these 2 sites which seem to be very close to each other.
Kalmus at 6:26 Pm was ave 26 while West Dennis was only 15.

Is this real?
Is there really THAT much difference between the actual conditions at those geographically close sites?

Looking for some local knowledge here!

Thanks for your help!

Tom Question
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a local but I've sailed both spots plenty of times over the last 20 plus years. I'd say it's true.

Kalmus has some special land conditions that sometimes boost it's wind. I even left West Dennis and drove to Kalmus once based on IWindsurf readings. A friend was at Kalmus sailing and he confirmed that it had been windy when W Dennis had not.

Any others want to chime in?

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nie on six bells, matie. Generally in a SW Kalmus does see more wind than the rest of the south coast. However, this isn't due to a >>Venturi Effect<< as it's commonly explained. Dramatic differences like the one that was at the root of this thread are rare, though. They can occur in comparisons of many beaches on the sound side, too. The wind can vary dramatically this time of the year at any location. It's not commonly in synch over the full extent of the Cape. It's the same way with Tornado formation in Worcester county, highly unpredictable and the bursts are short in duration.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Cape Cod potato chip factory.
When they are in full swing and all the fry-ilators are fired up it causes a huge thermal up-draft drawing the cooler water off the sound. Bottom line the more chips we eat the windier it wll be at Kalmus!!
Down side: the more chips we eat the more wind we will need to get on a plane! Laughing

pueno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
Nie on six bells, matie. Generally in a SW Kalmus does see more wind than the rest of the south coast. However, this isn't due to a >>Venturi Effect<< as it's commonly explained. Dramatic differences like the one that was at the root of this thread are rare, though. They can occur in comparisons of many beaches on the sound side, too. The wind can vary dramatically this time of the year at any location. It's not commonly in synch over the full extent of the Cape. It's the same way with Tornado formation in Worcester county, highly unpredictable and the bursts are short in duration.

1) "Nie"? What word is that, Brucie?

2) Six bells comes three times a day, more than I can say for........ oh, never mind.

3) "Matie"? Thinking of your "manly interactions" again?

4) "Venturi Effect"? Do a little research, dingus, and learn what that is.

5) "...with Tornado formation in Worcester county, highly unpredictable and the bursts are short in duration." Not unlike intellect formation on Glory Lane -- highly unpredictable and nonexistent in duration.
liquidsurf-miami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: What do the yearly stats say? Reply with quote

I would argue that either spot can be windier than the other on any given day....I have been at Kalmus all afternoon where the wind is strong to the left and weak to the right with no logical explanation, but there it was....the wind is hard to rationalize sometimes!
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived and sailed this area for more than 20 yrs.. both windsurfing, Hobie Cat sailing and big sailboats.
I have sailed every corner of the Cape region, from Buzzards Bay to P-Town.
Not that any of this matters, but its my observation that despite what the wind meters of the Hot Line state, there are indeed stronger wind directions than other beaches as a direct result of land features and tides (humm, anyone forget that factor?)

Rolling Eyes

Anyways, Kalmus, and in particular, Lewis Bay gets stronger winds in SW & WSW, than most other locations. Out going tide is best, against the wind.

In a strong S wind, West Dennis will hold its own as close 2nd, maybe even out-do Kalmus by a bit.
Most of that reason is due to land shape.
YES, Kalmus does indeed have a type of venturi effect , despite what other folks are posting here.
Great Island land mass to the east of Kalmus helps to deflect the SW winds right down the main channel. Unless of course its strong incoming tide, where it gets a bit screwed up.

Buzzards Bay is one HUGE venturi effect for SW winds, and gets the waves as well. Tides will make an incredible difference here, best is again outgoing, against the wind.

Any sailor worth their salt will attest to the value of using the "headlands" for use in picking up stronger winds, and also knowing just beyond these headlands that wind can fall off sharply.

Take a few trips on your windsurfer from Craigville Beach to Kalmus, then around Great island to West Dennis and back again to get the real feel of the region!

Shocked Shocked

but then again, maybe Jerry's theory is right! LOL!
I like the new flavs best!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:
I have lived and sailed this area for more than 20 yrs.. both windsurfing, Hobie Cat sailing and big sailboats.
I have sailed every corner of the Cape region, from Buzzards Bay to P-Town.
Not that any of this matters, but its my observation that despite what the wind meters of the Hot Line state, there are indeed stronger wind directions than other beaches as a direct result of land features and tides (humm, anyone forget that factor?)

SNIP

Iceratz: Certainly tidal flow will create a different sailing experience depending on the flow's direction and strength relative to the wind, but neither tidal flow nor current contribute in any measurable way to wind strength, either true or apparent. People debated the existence of what is called the lee bow effect for many years. In essence, this would state that when sailing upwind against a current a sailor can pinch. The idea being that pinching puts more of the current against the leeward bow and, according to the supporters, help push the boat or board upwind. A subset of this thinking goes further to claim that boats sailing in different directions to the current will see different apparent wind speeds. The lee bow effect has been debunked for decades, but is this what you are talking about?
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Iceratz: Certainly tidal flow will create a different sailing experience depending on the flow's direction and strength relative to the wind, but neither tidal flow nor current contribute in any measurable way to wind strength (SNIP) The lee bow effect has been debunked for decades, but is this what you are talking about?

Great observation Dan, I agree with you completely, especially with non-planning sailing vessels.

The main problem with windsurfing and wind strengths is that we use only the wind at the surface up to 15ft. I honestly believe that due to currents, wave action and tides that it can work either for, or against you.
Sure, measuring the wind from the beach, this theory is null.

One other obvious advantage of current moving against the wind is the ability to easily stay broad reaching, rather than upwind pinching, so in effect makes the experience easier to stay planning.
Some would call that experience "windier"

The Gorge is famous for sailing with current against wind.
When a typical NE sailor goes out there, having learned to sail nearly always in a "pinching" manner, they quickly learn that sailing like that gets them far upwind too fast, then they have problems reaching back.

Good thoughts.
wavedawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although both are lumpy and bumpy, Kalmus & WD are probably the 2 most reliable sites on the Cape for SSW - WSW sailing. However, on any given day there can be significant differences in wind strength between the 2 locations, based on the tides, sun, moon, stars and VARIOUS UNKNOWN FACTORS. Kalmus tends to get the big late blast more often than WD, but sometimes its the other way round. THERE IS NO RHYME OR REASON. I live close to WD, almost as close to Kalmus, and sail both locations, as well as others. If I'm waiting for summer thermals to kick, I will often wait til I see which beach is getting better conditions, and go there. Also, parking is free after 4pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: