myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What knot to use for an ajdustable outhaul system.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsail that page link doesn't work for me. When I first started reading these forums, I saw the that prussic knot recommended for boom knotted harness lines and learned it. However, I have forgotten it in that I never used it. With the Loft A.O., another buckle and webbing system, the Girth hitch, otherwise known as Cow hitch, Lark's head, Lark's foot, Ring hitch, Lanyard hitch, and Baggage Tag Loop is recommended. I find it works fine, but I just started using an A.O. This is not the clove hitch and shouldn't be confused with it. Here are both knots, bowline and girth hitch in use with Monty's A.O. As a note, the Lark's head or foot remains a knot commonly used and mentioned in kiting. The way it's formed determines the difference in terminology. From that link provided by Isobars, Sailworks has the terminology wrong. The knot pictured isn't a Girth hitch, it's a Prussic knot. The clove hitch was commonly used to tether horses and other animals to a rail. However, I have yet to see a Hollywood "western" movie where the horsemen tie that knot. They simply throw the reins around the rail. If this was the way it was done in the 19th century, horses would roam wildly in the towns. Obviously John Ford and other directors cut the time to tie a knot out of the films speeding up the action.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: