myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Carlos Stories?? Wave Clinic w/ Wyatt Miller Oct 17-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got word that Mark Angulo will likely be joining us for the Clinic down in San Carlos. Mark is the older brother of current PWA wave champ Josh Angulo. Word on the street is that Mark is still the best guy at Hookipa. Hopefully we will get to see his new move...The Mutant....in action.

Wyatt
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got word that Mark Angulo will likely be joining us for the Clinic down in San Carlos. Mark is the older brother of current PWA wave champ Josh Angulo. Word on the street is that Mark is still the best guy at Hookipa. Hopefully we will get to see his new move...The Mutant....in action.

Wyatt
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajavaja knows his shiite and it's always good to see his plane on the strip (usually means a killer swell is there) So do KT, Clark, rodney too.
Lessons learned from these guys about the road in:

10 ply tires are key. 2 spares, coolent water (if it doesnt save you it may just someone else) and just slowing down. All last year I was gunning that road in 1 1/2 hours but ultimately it is a recipe for disaster. Bajavaja's right The extra half an hour saved isn't worth it. Especially when you consider thats one more Ballena for the ride There are sections where the overall speed average can be raised to counter the slow sections but always err on the side of caution. Blasting through some of the passes can mean an unexpected head on with a local or worse the Big rock picker truck ending your life and dreams.

Helpful Tips for making the drive:

- Don't buy drinking water until you get to El Rosario. The Purificado is right before the pemex and it's still 10 p (75c) for 20 litros. It will save a lot of weight on the drive down from whereever you are coming from and it's way cheaper than the 2.5 gallon jugs. Just remember that you need containers.

- Get your produce, etc. in El Rosario too. There is an open air mercado on Wednesdays but it's usually over by noon. THe Tecate building (the huge one) on the right (at the 90 degree turn after the Pemex) is recently reopened and they have a bunch of really good food and supplies there. They take dollars at the counter and it is usually 10-15 % less than current market rate. If the produce looks older go to the next store until you find the one with the freshies. Sometimes if you ask they are hiding it in the back. DONT COMPLAIN. That is the GRINGO ATTITUDE THAT THEY HATE. You are in Mexico NOT ASPEN.

- Slow down. The road is BRAND NEW through Rosario and it is tempting to push it. It will only cost you.

- don't buy your Ballenas in El Rosario. They are for me and my friends

- Don't camp on the point. That's for the young people to figure out

- Bring baby wipes. If you are camping it is a nice quick clean-up after a night of power tacos. your close friends will thank you for it.

- Bring your Mountain bike. Kevin & Co. have an unreal circuit going on down there. World Class. Just remember to slime up your rubber.

- Smile a lot because that is contagious

- Be generous with other campers. It will come back to you

- Be super careful of offering a smoke or booze to some of the local mexicans. They may not leave you alone for a few days . 24/7 no joke. last spring one crawled into a friends tent at 6 am trying to get more.

- Don't expect the fisherman to bring you fresh seafood on a daily basis

- It's fun to chuckle about the kiters getting worked there but saving your friends board or kite goes a long way. You see (after you do that) you can bust on him all you want. He can't say shiite.

I am told that this summer has been epic (truly) and August-November are the golden months. Warm water, wind & waves !

Wyatt this is going to be a great trip and now you just need to start prodding the MAN so he makes his FIRST trek in. He has already heard what he missed from young Kai.

I leave next week and am stoked !
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Neil you are probably already stylin it down at the Punta. I heard there is a southswell too.

A good south swell is all we need for my clinic on Oct 17-24 and then the MAN Robby himself will be coming. I just wish he would let us take the huge toy hauler RV that he bought up here in Hood River this year. But I heard he won't even let anyone pee in the bathroom yet, its too new. If he drove it into PSC it would probably end up with enough scratches that he would let us start using it on a regular basis.

I love the part you wrote ......

don't buy your Ballenas in El Rosario. They are for me and my friends

After hearing Jay's story about them driving all the way back to San Quintin because they were out of Pacifico in El Rosario. Im never going to get stuck in that possition. I'm getting my beer early, that way I won't steal yours. Ha

Good stuff buddy.

Wyatt
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting wood everytime I drove by that rig this summer (which was great thanks to all you good folks)

ya Jay's story was hilarious.

GOOOOOD swell last week. 7 days of head to logo with bigger a la Punta.

Watching a chubasco situation right now .........

are you going to slide down for Labor day if there is a swell ?
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no word on the Big Man. Waiting on the swell report.

But Tyson Poor has signed up to help me with the clinic.

There are still open spots. Its gonna be a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: