myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
intermediate lessons Cape Cod at Kalmus OR Duxbury Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: intermediate lessons Cape Cod at Kalmus OR Duxbury Beach Reply with quote

hi

Any rec's re someone to give lessons at Kalmus in September (or could drive to meet at Duxbury beach)
I'm an intermediate sailor, can waterstart, use a harness and footstraps, can jibe sometimes. Sailing on a 105 liter shortboard and old Mistral One Design for those very light wind days. Looking for pointers on maintaining a plane through jibe and tacking a shortboard. I can tack a longboard but having difficulties with a short board.

thanks
Jeff
npiankov

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out ABK clinics (abkboardsports.com, I think). Andy Brandt is a super instructor. By a lucky coincidence, his clinic is coming to Kalmus in September! This only happens once a year, so don't miss it. If you are motivated to learn, few people can get you as far in 3 days as he can. It's somewhat expensive (can almost buy a new sail for that!), but it's worth it. I attended twice and good a big boost in technique both times. He taught me to jibe, so that now I am not afraid to do it overpowered or in chop (or both). He can fix your tacks too. Fix them good!

Andy is also great at light-wind stuff. Heli-, push-, duck-tacks, ankle biters and what not. So no matter what the wind is that weekend, there is a whole lot to learn from Andy.
peter2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree that ABK camps are great. Andy and his instructors helped me plane through my jibes when I took a clinic in Bonaire last year. They improved my tack a lot, too.

The upcoming clinic in Kalmus is 3 days, Fri, Sep 11 - Sun, Sep 13. The $450 fee may sound steep, but that's $150/day or about $20/hour. That's actually cheaper than other lessons - and you'll learn something new every hour.

I took my second ABK clinic this year in Bonaire with my wife. We both (and everyone else in the clinic) loved it (more at boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2009/03/best-way-to-improve-your-windsurfing.html).

We are planning to be at the clinic in Kalmus - hope to see you there!

Peter
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the links and advice.

Unfortunately there's no way I can swing a three day clinic that weekend. I've emailed them to see if I could just come for a full day on saturday?

What about private instructors? Any rec's?
thanks
Number-nine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff:

I am not aware of any one giving intermidiate lessons near the cape or Boston. I think partly It is due to complications to coordinate schedules and wind to work for the learning you seek.

There is also not enough demand for instruction here to sustain a qualified teacher. The kiters have more demand and there are several schools. Still costly $75-100 per hour.

I have never done the ABK camp but that is likely your best bet.
Scratch every thing and do the 3 days or just one.

Better would be to travel to a warmer windy local like Bonaire, Margarita, or even Cape Hatteras, and get a week of conditions and lesssons to get the most out of it.

Many of us in NE are self taught. And it can take years. But the best thing is to find a crew of people who sail where you sail and are as good and or better then push each other to learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: