myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone have this happen...wind dies and outgoing tide grows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddude44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Anyone have this happen...wind dies and outgoing tide grows Reply with quote

Was sailing at Norwalk late afternoon, yesterday, and the wind died off quite a bit. Unfortunately the strong outgoing tide was increasing and there was no way to tack back in to where I started out from. Not even enough wind to fight the current. I seemed headed to Westport past the fishing pier (somewhat of a west wind) and thought I could make it into the beach but wound up about a half mile or so landing in front of the private houses on the beach.
After a long walk back, getting my gear on the beach and then walking another half mile to my car and driving back to get my gear I noticed that there was another sailor still out there, way out. It was now getting dark and I knew that he wasn't that experienced and it looked like he was still trying to fight his way back. I asked some people on the beach to keep an eye on him as I loaded my gear back into my car.
A few minutes later and darker I asked the people on the beach if they could still see him and they pointed at him, barely visible. I knew things couldn't be going to well out there and I asked a policeman sitting in his car to come have a look.
Well to make a long story short, the Norwalk marine unit, after the policeman finally radioed them now being convinced he was in trouble, went out in total darkness and they found him around where we last saw him.Geez it makes me think what would have happened if I didn't think to take a look out there and even bother to make the cop pay attention to him. The cop definitely was sympathetic and followed through with making sure he was brought in safely though. And now I know to definitely be aware of the tide when I sail especially if there isn't much wind!
If you are the sailor who was rescued let me know,
[b]Consider myself lucky!
[/b]
bbjork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for spotting that person, bad things can happen quickly and unexpectedly on the water.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know the currents in your location, too.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if it is a definite axiom, but I've noticed more that the wind tends to die off a bit as the sun hits the horizon, both dawn and dusk. Does not apply to our SE sea breezes, nor gales, of course. Tide..... not so sure. Opposing tide and wind, no way. Tide and wind going the same direction, oh yeah. Tide will add or subtract to apparent winds.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beachlurk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail an inflatable sailboat, and can't always get to places where there is decent wind. So this happens to me a LOT. Of course, I also have paddles - which aren't going to fit so well on a windsurf rig.

But the other thing I have is a cell phone in a waterproof case - fits anywhere! Programming in the local coast guard is nice, but 911 will get help most anywhere there's a signal.

Glad the other guy is ok. Good job calling it in.
braden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have self rescued after a broken mast. Problem is, I had to paddle for almost an hour, and that was going with the wind and waves. I wouldn't count on being able to paddle home against an outgoing tide.

The cell phone sounds like a great idea.
winddude44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
I thought about trying the self rescue thing myself but there was always a hope in the back of my mind that the wind would pick up! And I didn't really remember how the magazine articles said to do it. Didn't want to lose my gear. If I had been the other guy I think I would have ditched mys sail and mast and tried to paddle to an island.
The cellphone in a plastic case is an excellent idea and I was also thinking about some kind of noise/distress device too. Power boaters can't really hear you if they have an outboard and are going fast at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: