myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
rigging on beach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like rigging own beef-fed grass as much as the next, but this thread is bizarre. This is windsurfing! Like from the beach.

I think the hazards of rigging on sand are grossly overstated. Sand does little to damage gear and is certainly more friendly than the gravel parking lot at the Hatchery or a paved boat ramp. Sand does not cut boom grip, does not ding rails nor put holes in sails. Sand can cause components to jam but only a little care is needed to prevent this.

When I derig on sand (just about every time I sail) I simply shake off the sail as I roll it up, and rinse the board before I put it on the rack or in the bag. I try to rinse my stuff at home if I think about it, but it really doesn't seem to make any difference in the amount of enjoyment I get from the next session at the beach.
waterminion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...thanks. these are some interesting perspectives that i wasn't looking at before. it is possible that the sail damage i am noticing is from UV rays, but we didn't seem to have the same issues last year when i had a better spot to rig from. and these sails are new this year. oh well.

being partially disabled i was looking at it from the perspective of what i physically can't do...but apparently it wouldn't matter if i had two good legs and a spare in the trunk, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and do your best to keep things clean. so thanks for the spin on perspective.

only once did i get the mast stuck together.

it's blowing like stink today, and wet...and messy...and i am getting ready to head out...

the one legged chick with the pink hair in the middle of the Chesapeake today is me...wave and smile if you happen over bridge. thanks guys!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i rig on beach, i prop the mast end up on myboard. If you are careful not to get sand in mast connection, boom clamp area, and mast down haul extension area you will be fine. I have a small brush handy to make sure there is no sand in those three crucial areas before apply tension. If i derig on beach i will again use board to keep things high and dry. I will walk each componet back into water and clean off, then place on board. Take sail into water and roll up in water to clean of sand, then hold vertical to drain. When i get home i always store wet sails vertical so they can drain more. after a few days i like to unroll sail and reroll just to take care of any left over wet spots.
i WOULD TAKE SAND OVER PARKING LOT ANY DAY!!!!!!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterminion-

There is another one-legged windsurfer in the Norfolk area. His name is Glenn Woodell and he runs the local windsurfing club, website, and email list. It's the "Windsurfing Enthusiasts of Tidewater".

www.sailwet.com

You should get on their "letsrig" email list and introduce yourself if you haven't already. It's a great, active, supportive windsurfing community. I was sad when I had to move from the area to Florida.

-James
waterminion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you douglass.....i will totally check that out! that's exciting for me.
wavedawg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give my board and rig a rinse in the ocean after sailing, then try to let sail air dry before de-rigging. To keep mast from getting jammed, wrap gorilla tape(electrical or duct tape will also work) around the joint pre-sesh . this will keep sand out. For boom extension, spray silicone in tubes pre-sesh.
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is hard enough with 2 legs. You deserve a lot of respect for doing it with 1! Very inspiring!
ccyne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterminion,

Where are you sailing from? Chicks, Buckroe and Factory Pt. is where the WET crew has been sailing all week. Definately get on the list it's a great group of people.

James, you would be loving it here this week it's been blowing 20 out of the NE since Monday. It may let up tomorrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: