myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation spots for family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccoyms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Vacation spots for family Reply with quote

I know that this issue has probably been discussed before, but I appreciate any advice. I'm looking for information for a vacation early next year. I'm an intermediate windsurfer (I sail downstream of the Gorge), and usually go to Maui. I would like for my wife and my 7 year old son to have a good experience, and Maui doesn't seem to be the best place for beginners. I also have a 4 year old and a soon to be 2 year old, so it would be nice to have other activities available. I was thinking about Aruba, but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks for the help. BTW, my wife has had about 2 beginner lessons and she's tentative in the water, despite being a very good swimmer.
islamargarita

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into Margarita-
Aruba is off shore wind so may not be the best place for the entry level sailors-especially the little ones.
Margarita has side-shore consistent winds and a shallow, sandy bottom out a good distance for those that need to be able to touch bottom.
Lodging can be had right on the beach just steps from room to waters' edge and literally on top of the schools/rentals. Sunshades and beach chairs also available just steps from your room and windsurfing.
Plenty of equipment selection and instruction for all levels.
Also, there are a lot of alternative activities and the best part is-you are not going to break the bank as Margarita is one of the least expensive of the Carribean destinations!!!
Wherever you do wind up going-have a good time.
If you need more info on Margarita feel free to write me at info.posadamargarita@gmail.com
Saludos,
Miguel
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margarita is not a bad place to be with families, though getting there
can be a little iffy, but you need to be aware that the prudish American
concept of the human body does not exist there. If this will offend
you or your family, it's something you should consider.

-Craig

islamargarita wrote:
Look into Margarita-
Aruba is off shore wind so may not be the best place for the entry level sailors-especially the little ones.
Margarita has side-shore consistent winds and a shallow, sandy bottom out a good distance for those that need to be able to touch bottom.
Lodging can be had right on the beach just steps from room to waters' edge and literally on top of the schools/rentals. Sunshades and beach chairs also available just steps from your room and windsurfing.
Plenty of equipment selection and instruction for all levels.
Also, there are a lot of alternative activities and the best part is-you are not going to break the bank as Margarita is one of the least expensive of the Carribean destinations!!!
Wherever you do wind up going-have a good time.
If you need more info on Margarita feel free to write me at info.posadamargarita@gmail.com
Saludos,
Miguel
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonaire is great for beginners and kids - Dec to May are best months.
South Padre, TX is another good option on the mainland - April-May, Oct-Nov are best months.
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: