myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another Hint for Windsurfers; Do your eyes hurt apreshred?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeglasses and eye drops have made a big difference in how my eyes feel the evening after sailing.

One little point -- if you sail in salt water dump some fresh water on your (closed) eyes after sailing. If you don't, you are leaving a nice crust of salt on your eyelashes, eyebrows etc that will migrate into your eyes before you take your shower at home.
ericwelty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SUBJECT , I HAVE BEEN WINDSURFING AT WADDELL FOR OVER 24 YEARS , AND THE LAST TWO YEARS I HAVE REALLY WATERY EYES. WHEN I WALK DOWNTOWN SANTA CRUZ I GET LOOKS LIKE OH ! WHATS WRONG WITH THAT GUY , HE'S CRYING ! I WENT TO AN EYE DOCTOR WHO TOLD ME I HAVE DRY EYES ? DIDN'T SEEM TO MAKE SENSE , BUT HE SAID MY EYES ARE COMPENSATING FOR DRY EYES, AND HAD ME USE EYES DROPS TO MOISTEN MY EYES . WELL EVEN AFTER USING EYE DROPS MY EYES STILL WATER LIKE CRAZY, SOMETIMES TO THE POINT THAT IT IS DIFFICULT TO SEE, AND I AM CONTINUALLY WIPING MY EYES ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS A COOL BREEZE ---- ANY SUGESTIONS DOC ?
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have "tearing" as well as dry eyes. Could indicate a problem with your tear ducts, but the eye guys should comment hopefully. There are lots of websites for discussions of tearing. Allergies could be a cause. Epiphora is the medical term.
jimbeall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points have been made, my local eye doc said the same. However 1 or 2 hrs of sailing's exposure to the eyes per day of sailing, seems small compared many hrs per day that many people get when not wearing uv protection day in and day out. Let's say you sail 50 days a yr times 1hr (actual sailing time on water only, does not count hrs of rigging, asking what sail size, drinking beer on beach, sailing stories) it's only about 50 hrs a yr. Hence not really a factor in eye problems. My take, wear sun glasses if you like them. For me it is more dangerous to be nearly blind at times with sunglasses on than not wearing them. I think a better case could be made for the eye protection at the Delta. The bumble bees are the size of your thumb, and seem to prefer eye level flight paths. Of course Maui is the most dangerous; eye strain, lack of focus due to distraction, see illustration pic. I bet in 25 yrs @ Waddell the thog is not a problem. Please comment!

UJJ300.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.91 KB
 Viewed:  11644 Time(s)

UJJ300.jpg

beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Severe Eye Strain! Reply with quote

My brother is a dirty old man, and yes, severe eye strain could result!
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Lasik surgery which almost blinded me. Then I got cataracts which saved me. The inserteed lenses in my lens sack are amazing. Actually enabled me to see again. Without glasses, which I had to wear almost all of my life. Just had YAG surgery a couple of days ago. It is amazing what the medical world has brought to the table along with great doctors providing modern day 'miracles'.

By the way, I have not been able to find those wide neoprene croakies eye glasses strap anymore. It used to be wide enough to float your sunglasses after a crash or catapult. Ane they came in bright colors so as to be able to find them in the foam after a major breaking wave. Anyone know where they might be obtained of late?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: