myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
9.0m sail on a jp supersport 136l or isonic 133l
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfalex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: 9.0m sail on a jp supersport 136l or isonic 133l Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to rig a 9.0 sail on the JP supersport 136l ( 2007 ) or Starboard Isonic 133 ( 2007 ) ?
Looking for a alternative to my formula board in lighter winds. Per manufacture spec. you can rig a 9.0 on either one of the boards above, it just seems like a very big sail on a small boards. I weight about 185ibs.
I have the options of buying the slightly bigger jp supersport at 136l and width of 75cm. Or the slightly smaller isonic at 133l but 5cm wider at 80cm. Board will be used on flat water and racing but it still has to be maneuverable and jibe-friendly... Any suggestion ?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturers' specs are probably true- either would work with 9.0. But I reckon the wider one (iSonic) would be most comfortable with 9.0, especially if it's wider at the back footstraps, too. Helps you get the leverage you need to fully sheet the sail and pressure the fin.
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off your question so feel free to toss a few tomatoes if my response is not helpful or confuses you more Smile

I have a 2008 SuperSport 127L (75cm wide) and sometimes rig an 8.5 3 cams Simmer 3XC on it. I weight 210 lbs and have a hard time getting it on a plane in ~16mph wind.

My experience with this JP is that it gets going in relatively higher winds and not that easy to get going in lighter winds...

With 80cm on the 136L + your 185lb weight, the dynamics will be different. My experience making this 127L as my "light wind" machine have failed... Looking towards kiting now since Formula is another ball game I am trying to avoid...

That said, I do REALLY enjoy the JP in >17-25mph conditions since it is really fast and the nose just stays down with incredible top end control.... Cannot speak about the isonic besides its great reputation in slalom racing... A sure bet! O.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula is actually pretty cool, IMHO.

There is a lot of hype about 75-85 cm wide freeride boards and 7.5 - 9.0 sails being a great "light wind" solution, but it's exaggerated. I think that to really be powered in 12 knots or less (and have the bonus of being able to rip upwind and downwind) ya gotta go 100 cm wide formula and 9.8 - 12.5 sails, depending on your weight. (At 210 lbs, you'll want a 12). I kite, too, and I can attest that kites of any size are sketchy below steady 12 knots, because they'll fall out of the sky in lulls and do other bad, unpredictable, expensive, frustrating things.

Today it was ~10 knots, and I couldn't keep my 12 m kite in the air. It jellyfished and nearly self-destructed in the shorebreak. I know I could have been ripping on my 9.8 and formula board, though, if my boom wasn't broken. (Both kiting and formula have some gear hassles. The price of light wind performance, I guess.)

Sorry for the digression.
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""""""I think that to really be powered in 12 knots or less (and have the bonus of being able to rip upwind and downwind) ya gotta go 100 cm wide formula and 9.8 - 12.5 sails, depending on your weight. """"

I agree, you can windsurf when our Kite buddy's sit on the beach I don't think you need 100 cm formula board I use a 140 liter Slalom board with a 9.0 Slalom / 9.8 Race or even bigger sail and plan just fine. For going B&F a lot of fun as well less technical to sail. This maybe a way for many to get in to the groove and later start to excel in to Slalom or Formula racing.

there are a couple nice racing series to go racing, everybody in SOCAL check in with Jo Roth or me for Slalom and Formula racing events.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
REDBULL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: isonic Reply with quote

ive got an isonic 130 and im a bigger guy, if its blowin a hard steady ill use it with an 9. its better on my formula board though if there are breakes in the wind, this sail size and these board are right on the line.could go either way. i really like to use the sonic with my 8.4-6.5
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumping unto a plane with an 80 cm wide board is not impossible with 7.5 to 9.0 sails. Just gotta have a lot of practice. Pump up and duck gybe in the gusts. Have your arms straight out ahead and swing the hips forward. Won't be as powerful as FW, but if you've got the gear anyway, why not leep working on the efficiency skills? Comes in very handy with some sketchier, but doable, wavesailing later on....

That photo shoot we did in FL for the lightwind free ride test was in some pretty light stuff. 9-16 mph or so. Had to pull out all the tricks to keep the plane alive. Don't hook in before planing and at least in the front strap is the key for better pumping. Higher boom, and longer harness lines helps lots too. BTW, I'm 207 lbs right now. Kona sailing has allowed me to fatten back up a bit. Cheers.

Kiters watch me in envy time and again when I'm wave saiing with my Kona 11'5 in winds as low as 4-10 mph. In that light of winds, kiting is canceled.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ChopEater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 9.0m sail on a jp supersport 136l or isonic 133l Reply with quote

surfalex wrote:
Has anyone tried to rig a 9.0 sail on the JP supersport 136l ( 2007 ) or Starboard Isonic 133 ( 2007 ) ?
Looking for a alternative to my formula board in lighter winds. Per manufacture spec. you can rig a 9.0 on either one of the boards above, it just seems like a very big sail on a small boards. I weight about 185ibs.
I have the options of buying the slightly bigger jp supersport at 136l and width of 75cm. Or the slightly smaller isonic at 133l but 5cm wider at 80cm. Board will be used on flat water and racing but it still has to be maneuverable and jibe-friendly... Any suggestion ?
I use a 07 Supersport 126l with an Ezzy 8.5 Infinity Race sail with adjustable outhaul, I weigh 160lb/72kg, stock 42cm fin. It's not fun with the wind below 10 kts, partially submerged. With stronger winds of 20+, the sail seems too powerful, fatigue set's in soon, and seems to have too much drag to go upwind, even when outhauled to the max (flat!), when flat, it also seems really too twitchy unless you love to catapult. A smaller sail is probably mandatory with 20kt+ winds.

Considerations for winds between 10-20... The 8.5 Sail is sweet and powerful, but the board is so friction free on the plane you accelerate right up to the wind limit....so you've been leaning back during acceleration and the board quickly accelerates right up to wind speed. But, at wind speed you lose the apparant wind you were leaning against, and splash down. I think a smaller sail would not allow you to accelerate fully to wind speed so you'd still have a little pull to maintain balance. (I hit 20 mph in 10-15 mph wind all the time, but run out of pull so fall, or get off balance)

Oh, one more thing...there is no "float volume" forward of the mast foot on the Supersport, jib's are kindof mandatory ....(Just did my first Honest-to-goodness SuperSport jib turn today)...stepping forward of the mast foot will sink the nose at non-planeing speed. the SuperSport is half DOGGED_SLOW_SUBMARINE, half OMG!_ROCKETSHIP! (Love my SuperSport! only wind and fear limit's it's speed (GPS I've clocked only 21mph wind limited)

P.S. compared the shape of the 126l 07SuperSport with the (120l I think 08)ExciteRide, other than the two rear cutouts (SS), the boards look essentially practically identical in Shape, rails, thickness, top, bottom, front, back, and profile.
adamel111

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a 2011 iSonice 122 and my dad has the JP 2008 136L SuperSport (and I had the 2008 118L supersport for one season).

The 9.0 will work "better" on the iSonic because it has a wider tail. It will plane sooner too because it has a flatter rocker. But, you could sail a 9.0 on the JP too. I would say the iSonic is better though if you are looking to step down/replace a formula board because teh iSonic is much closer to a formula board. Those early year supersports (2007/2008) have more free ride in them than free "race" (too much rocker to be slalom-y). They are still fast and jibe like a dream - but just not the same kind of blast off as an iSonic or the more current supersports.

Also, I would say that how well the 9.0 works depends on whether it is cambered or not. A cambered sail will work much better cause it is more stable and has more power. If you are using a no-cam "race" type sail it will be ok, but not as good - as long as yo uare constatly powered up it shoudl balance out fine.

Fin is also important in how the board will feel with a 9.0 too.

Adam
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2011 SS 136 / 79 cm wide as my light-wind board and I use it exclusively with a 9.0 Retro . I like this set up , it planes in 10 mph wind and that's all I need. Btw I just got a 490 RDM and the sail pumps easier and feels softer with it-very nice. It's comfortable off the plane too and water-starts easily. The board feels big and I wouldn't go below 8.0 with it. My next one down kit is a 112 Lt. Firerace and a 7.4.I switch to it in 18 and up mph wind.Im 170 lb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: