myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kalmus meter VS West Dennis meter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shreddbob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz, yes you do have many years experience as indicated by referring to the "Wind Hotline"! I too go way back. You are right on with the WSW, SW at Kalmus and the headlands plus venturi effects. I've seen this boost Kalmus over W. Dennis especially on days where the water is much cooler than the air. As for tides, consider the water cooling affect of a high tide and the water warming at low tide. For humid and warm/hot winds you'll get better coupling of the wind to the water (overcoming the cold layer of temperature inversion at the water) plus best sea breeze enhancement when the water is about 8 - 15 degrees cooler than the air over nearby land away from the beach. This effect is more important, in my opinion, than ingoing vs. outgoing tide. Usually low tide (warmer water) is best for wind to water coupling. Except for perhaps right now when water is around mid 70's and air in low 80's, and we may actually do better with the high tide bringing in cooler water. (In late summer I've seen the wind die during the few hours around low tide at W. Dennis many times.) Of course if the pressure gradient (isobars) are stronger, then the water temperature factor can be negated.

I also agree that W. Dennis loves a SSW or South wind--provided the water's not too cold.

As far as best formed swells (versus nasty chop) I've found incoming tide, 'til about 1 hour or so after high tide, better at W. Dennis and on Buzzard's Bay. Kalmus gives best swells at low tide, on far side of the channel (while dodging nasty boulders).
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anacreon wrote:
Iceratz, yes you do have many years experience as indicated by referring to the "Wind Hotline"! I too go way back. You are right on with the WSW, SW at Kalmus and the headlands plus venturi effects.
For humid and warm/hot winds you'll get better coupling of the wind to the water (overcoming the cold layer of temperature inversion at the water) plus best sea breeze enhancement when the water is about 8 - 15 degrees cooler than the air over nearby land away from the beach.

That's a great observation as well. After all, the thermals are what really gives us our best winds on the Cape.
Maybe Gerry's chip factory theory has merit! LOL!

...and I guess I dated myself with the WindHotline!!
djs789

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz: , but neither tidal flow nor current contribute in any measurable way to wind strength, either true or apparent.

Yes, Tide will not make a difference in the what a wind meter on land will read, but If the tide is for instance opposite the wind direction, when sailing the wind you experience will be stronger. Here is why: You are not observing the wind from a fixed point on earth. You are in the water moving with the current in the opposite direction as the wind. So you will experience a stronger wind. For instance, if the wind is 18 knots and the current is 2 knots, you will experience 20 kts. Furthermore, you should rig for 20 kts. This is a similar to apparent wind. Draw a vector diagram if you don't beleive me. By the way, the opposite is true if the tide is travelling with the wind you should rig for 16 knots. But again the wind meter doesn't know the difference.

The wind meter would know the difference if it was floating along with the current though.

Whether you travel faster or slower with the incoming or outgoing tide with respect to the earth (GPS) is another story. I don't think you can say in general...it would depend on alot of factors.

Interesting discussion, thanks
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djs789 wrote:
Iceratz: , but neither tidal flow nor current contribute in any measurable way to wind strength, either true or apparent.

I think this observation was made by myself & others about 5 or 6 posts ago.
Its the 'experience" one perceives as being windier with current against wind.
But on land, no measurable difference, agreed.

Now, maybe someone might care to share some interesting facts about the density of wind due to air temperatures? Very Happy

Basically speaking; (if I don't get squewered on this....) Shocked
Cold air is more dense than warm air.
Therefore has more resistance,
Therefore, is in effect a stronger force on one's sail, making it feel windier.

The speed of sound will travel faster through warmer air than through cold air, due to less resistance.

But the bottom line: 20mph winds at any temperature will measure 20 on any meter.

hummmm....just one of those things that makes you wonder..... Cool
lasrer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust the experience of the Iceratz.

He knows this area very, very well.

He also saved my life 20 years ago when my rig and board separated in nuclear conditions in the Gorge and he recovered it.

Thanks Iceratz!

ed
djs789

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wanted to know...
Quote:
Now, maybe someone might care to share some interesting facts about the density of wind due to air temperatures?

I was curious. I thought it would be negligible, but it seems the calcs show a noticeable difference when the air is colder.

Yes, Ice, your intuition matches theory. The forces on your sail will be larger when its colder out.
Running a few calcs... Holding air pressure constant. On a warm summer day of 86 deg and high humidity. Air density will be 1.147 kg/m^3.
On a cold 32 deg day with low humidity air density will be 1.293 kg/m^3.

The forces on your sail are proportional to air density. So...

What this means is that the force on your sail will be about 12% higher. You would probably feel the difference. In other words the colder air will be more powerful.

In terms of equivalent wind it seems neglible as sail forces are proportional to the square of the wind velocity. So colder air will feel about 6% windier. For example winter 30mph will feel like summer 32mph. So maybe I am back to thinking the difference is negligible.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's a 'cool' review of the facts! Thanks for the calculations.
I have a lot of experience sailing on ice and notice the difference easily on many days with varying temperatures.
The coldest day so far was -11deg F, and it was blowing 20. Wind chills were in the dangerous regions with frostbite.
The sail felt quite powerful that day.

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: