myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mystery Ships
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Mystery Ships Reply with quote

Anyone know what's going on with these ships docked off Brown's Island / Avery? The one on the left has been in the same place (at the same weird angle) for several days. Are they stuck on the sandbar or just giving week long tours of Brown's Island?

mysteryships.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.88 KB
 Viewed:  18548 Time(s)

mysteryships.jpg

dosfatboys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: The locks at TD dam is closed for repairs Reply with quote

Because the locks at TD dam is being repaired, it is closed to river traffic thus nothing is going up/down river from the dam.
wmike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the river cruise boats came up the river at the wall today. The other one was still at Avery when I came home. I would gues the the river cruise will have to be done with some bus shuttles now. Coming over The Dalles Bridge I could see that the downstream gate was open and and almost dry.

The Locks are supposed to be closed for another 8 Days.

The Dalles dam lock closed for at least 8 more days
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/the_dalles_dam_lock_closed_for.html
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the Columbia River? Where was the photographer? I'm from New England and didn't know it looked like that.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailable and sailed section of the Columbia River is >500 miles long. Imagine a view and it probably fits some segment or another, including flat desert, urban, cliffs that dwarf the Hood River or Wall area hills, heavy forests, sand dunes, glass stretches, and some of the most wicked watery terrain in the world, where the U.S. Coast Guard trains its crews to operate its self-righting rescue ships. The U.S. Navy has also tested secret high-speed assault boats here due to the challenging waters and remote regions available (I'd love to see a race between one of those hush-hush Navy boats and a $50,000 tournament bass boat in the hands of a pro carrying a trophy load to the final weigh-in).

This river is whatever a user wants to make of it.

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shot is right near, or part of, a Web Cam up by the Mary Hill Winery,
near the Avery Launch, which is about 45 minutes East of Hood River on
the Columbia, Washington side. It's pretty deserty out there, but like
Mike says, you can pick your environment (and water conditions)
in the ~ 200 Miles between Stevenson, and 3 Mile Canyon.

Try this for some additional info http://utahwindriders.org/forum/gorgeinfo.php

-Craig

sailingjoe wrote:
Is that the Columbia River? Where was the photographer? I'm from New England and didn't know it looked like that.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The locks at TD dam is closed for repairs Reply with quote

apaz wrote:
Because the locks at TD dam is being repaired, it is closed to river traffic thus nothing is going up/down river from the dam.

Yet I still can't shake the habit of looking before I jibe, even when sailing alone. That's a GOOD thing.

Mike \m/
wmike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: No Barges Reply with quote

Yea, no gasoline barges going to tri-cities. Get out the bicycles in tri-cities. Smile
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my favorite topic, the geology of scale. I remember when I decided to drive out to Comb Ridge in Utah looking in the Rand-McNally atlas and then found out how exhausting travel in this country is. This also reminds me of a conversation I once had warming up in the Canon Mtn tramway base station in N.H. when Iceland came up. I was telling someone about my trip there and how different the experience was in regards to my expectations. It's a vast Island (they spell it Island, not Iceland by the way), larger than Ireland (I travelled by bus, train and autocar around Ireland for 600 miles or more for a week and never seeing the same place twice), and my audience was incredulous. The guy said >> but it is so small on the globe<<.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that post about takes the cake.

Is that stuff legal? Cheap? Where can we get some? Aftereffects? (Never mind; I think we see them in evidence every day.)

Mike @#!*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: