myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Machine shop for fin work near Boston?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Machine shop for fin work near Boston? Reply with quote

I some minor work done on 2 fins I just got. Specifically, I need a couple of cuts and hole drilling to fit my fin box on an old 2-fin Techno 293. The front section of the fin is fine, but the rear section needs to be modified.

Does anyone know a machine shop near Boston that might be able & willing to do this? Somewhere around Dedham - Norwood would be best, but I don't mind driving a bit.

Thanks,

Peter
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete:

I'm trying not to be a wise a$$, but you might spend less money buying a cordless drill, hack saw, rasp and some sand paper.

Take it slow and you will be a happier person.

Kinda like teach'n a man to fish theory.

RC
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. One day you're moving a screw hole or fitting a base to its slot, the next day you're repairing in 20 minutes a $150 fin with an inch-deep gash in its leading edge. There's not much one can't do with hand tools and patience, and it's hard to find a machine shop at most beaches. The secret to your problem is slowly removing the excess base material until it fits. For that rock ding, one has two choices: grind what's left down to slightly smaller fin, or add extra material then grind THAT down until the fin is in original shape again.

Mike \m/
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I do woodworking for a living, (such as it is), have grinders, belt sanders, drill press, etc. If you want to come by my shop in Newton I can modify your fin for you at my usual hourly rate. Fiberglass is easy to work with. I can probably do it while you wait.

PM me for info.

I just can't schedule it on a windy weekend day.

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had pretty good luck filling chips, gouges and cracks in G-10 and carbon fins with J.B. Weld (sold as a cold weld) and then sanding the result. The regular stuff will take some time to set so that it will slump and drip. You have to work with it for an hour or so to keep the best shape. Consequently, I'm going to try the 5-minute version next. I just used J.B. Weld on an automotive part, and it came out rather well. It's strong and rigid. When my upright fins were getting hacked up by the shallow sand bars and shell encrusted bottoms, I coated the front edge of the mangled tips and found it didn't foul much. They add metal filings to the epoxy and that can rust if left in a humid area for long. However, a quick application of sand paper takes the rust off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: