myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FWIW - Cape Cod Plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: FWIW - Cape Cod Plan Reply with quote

Even though no one asked - here's a plan that your welcome to use

Straight Forward

1. Saturday SE and stiff - Kalmus late morning to let the wind build up and before the real rain sets in. 4.2m for lightweights.

a Little Tricky

2. Sunday CC Bay with W to WNW Skaket Beach will be be a sweet spot for that direction. Should be in the water by 8am, 8:30 pushing it< to ride the outgoing tide. A long walk in should be expected. 5.0m might be big to start

3. Lay-down or Standup starting 11:30 at Nauset 4 miles across town. Clean waist high with hopefully a diminishing off shore wind.

4. You can listen to the London Pats (is it a 1:00pm local time game?) on the way home!

RC
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Sunday Sailing Reply with quote

I want to come to the Cape tomorrow to sail. The earliest we could get there is late morning. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Graham
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look'n kinda tough Graham-

With winds WNW the sound side beaches will most likelly be flukey. Maybe the back side of Kalumus - You seemed to make out OK there.

The CC Bay beaches will almost be untouchable at late morning. The tide will be out a country mile. I plan to dress at home and hit it before the family wakes up. The goal is to be done and home by 9.

Although It looked promising today. It was about 50-50 good rides and waiting around. Not a day to brag about.

RC
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the plan Ron. I ended up at The Cut, underpowered a little but still fun.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how the weather has a way of changing plans.

FYI if anyone cares on the plan submitted above.

1. Kalmus Good in the morning, but a delayed start due to family yielded so-so 5.0 for a short session "C" at best

2. Skaket at sunrise - needlessly out of bed at 5 no wind - no grade

3. Nauset at noon - Morebeachdotcom Mike and I took a pounding north of the famous SUP bowl. One kiter at the bowl in a stiff north wind and head+ high waves, He gets an A for effort. No gloves but winter suits w/ hood up for both of us felt good. "C+"

RC
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Wind or lack of Reply with quote

Decided to check out Chapoquoit today. Nice beach, good wind direction. Only one thing missing-wind. Started out OK and ended up with zero wind. Should have arrived earlier.

Cheers,
Graham
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not have been the case today but I've found the wind to be fluky at Chappy in W or NW. The wind seems much gustier and dirtier then I would expect with such a clean fetch. this is from about 7 or 8 sessions over many years. It's still a fun place to sail, starboard tack jumping is good. I just don't expect good wind when I go there. I hear that it's steadier on SW but I've never tried it.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like Chappy from the NW, try Wood's Neck. It's absolutely brutal. Once I was blown into the huge rocks by the Astro Observatory. I didn't damage my equipment, but had to hitch a ride back to the beach. SW is the best, but that holds for all the Falmouth Buzzy Bay beaches. The winds are steadier. Chappy in sub-planing winds also sucks because there's usually a good swell on the Bay no matter what. If you like challenges, be my guest. I've done it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: