myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oregon flatwater slalom sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speeddodson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Oregon flatwater slalom sites Reply with quote

Three years of living in the Gorge, trying to break out of my lame intermediate ability rut, has left my ego demoralized. I know the guy in the article "Confessions of a Human Catapult" in this month's Windsurfing really well. That's me on any given day. So I'm looking for help locating flat water freeride/slalom sites. Drove down the coast a couple weeks ago and saw what looked like excellent possibilities but never saw anyone out. I prefer experienced knowledge before giving any site a go. Here are some the sites that looked appetizing and some located with GoogleMaps.com. Siletz Bay, Nehalem Bay, Netarts Bay, Tillamook Bay, North Bend/Coos Bay, Devil's Lake. I'm aware of Floras Lake. What's the story with the Klickitat River sandbar in Lyle? I won't be setting GPS milestones, but it is close and sounds just right. Any specific info about these or other worthy sites would be greatly appreciated. And don't worry, I don't have any sailing buds so I'm not going to be jamming up your launches.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't offer specific tips until we know just what you're trying to accomplish (e.g., a no-handed, one-footed, aerial monkey bonzeroo, or just planing in the straps?). I'd bet the fastest way out of your rut is to just sail out of it. i.e., get out of your comfort zone and try new stuff on new terrain. We don't learn squat sticking to what we know, sailing to stay dry, or playing exclusively in the kiddie pool. You've got a world-class venue full of challenges and instructors and videos at your fingertips; you couldn't ask for better learning environment. If there's one thing there's TOO much of here, it's flat water; get a 6.2 and a turny 115-liter board and you'll have hundreds of acres of it to yourself more days than not. Work that to death, then be glad when you're blown off that and "forced" to try your new skills in the real world.

I was getting nowhere with waterstarting until heavy chopswell at a new venue gave me no choice; it was waterstart or not sail, and I had flow there to sail, not sit on the sand. I was getting nowhere with jibing (no lessons or tutorials available then) until I got PISSED enough to really lay into that rail, and all of a sudden the board came around like magic ... er, well, like it's supposed to. I still didn't get any good at it until I learned to slash on modest chopswell, which gave me the board-handling skills necessary to jibe in wild terrain. Virtually any Gorge venue offers flat water for jibe attempts; it may be brief and small and sloped, but it's there if you look for it. But if you go to flatwater venues, how will you learn to waterstart or jibe or jump or bonzeroo in the real world? Flat water lets us develop and get away with all sorts of bad or lazy habits useless in the real world, like the Caribbean instructor's advice to jibe with straight legs; I'd like to see him try that at the Hatch or Celilo on a windy day.

Push the envelope; a few paper cuts are good for us.

Mike \m/
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general the areas where the river narrows and /or has most current are less conducive to what you are looking for.

In right wind conditions, try Roosevelt, The grain elevators OR side just east of Maryhill bridge, Avery, Rowena, Mosier, Hood River waterfront, Home Valley, Stevenson in the Gorge.

Toward the coast: Clatskanie (OR or WA side), Clatsop Spit and of course Flores Lake

feel free to email me bill@gsport.com

I can guide you through this
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windy season for the coast is basically over. Why drive hundreds of miles? Save the gas money and hire an instructor here in Hood River.
It amazes me how people will spend thousands on equipment and travel, but are too cheap to take lessons.
Example: A friend and myself took up kiting this summer. We are both expert windsurfers - been sailing the gorge for 20 years.
I took kite lessons and my friend did not.
After 4 lessons and 2 months - I'm a good kiter having a blast kiting from the Event site up to the Hatchery and back in any type of wind and swell. My friend is trying to teach himself with help from friends. He's still body dragging and trying to get up on a board.
Life is short - take lessons.
MrFish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons are a very good idea.

The hidden problem in the Gorge is that none of the schools are very good, as in season they mostly hire kids that may be just barely a day or two above your own level to 'teach' for around minimum wage. This is one reason why there are so many beginners in the gorge, but so few become intermediates and above. At this time of year though, the kids have gone back to school, and the schools are nearly closed, so you're likely to be able to get a decent instructor, licensed or not, before they head off for somewhere warmer. Make sure the instructor gets out on the water with you, or at least is actually really watching what you're doing wrong, not joking with his friends on the beach while you're sailing.

You don't say though what exactly you're frustrated with- jibing, waterstarting, or whatever, so can't be more specific.

Kiting instruction is better thought out, probably because there's more risk of serious injury and death, so the plan is to take you farther, at much higher initial cost, and they do that.

Windsurf schools (since it's so much safer) are by and large just pushing out 1st day beginners, which is where the (small amount of) money is, then cutting them loose, (one Gorge kids "class" is more of a baby-sitting operation than anything else) if students go past that day at all, they ask everyone on the beach how to proceed, getting conflicting advice some good, some not so good, but all of it confusing, since it's all different.

Instead of that, if you stick with one decent school or instructor, you can progress quickly.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought,
I have been windsurfing since 1980. Waves, flat water and everything in between. Just because a guy wants to play on flat water doesn't mean he can't learn and progress. Is it better to go out on a 4.0 day and get beat to death, or find a nice flat water spot on a 6.0 and have a full of enjoyable sailing???
If your looking for a really fun flat water place to sail with very steady 5.5 type wind, Head to lake Lopez in central Ca. Spend a week in July and I bet you will have a blast and get a lot better. Lots of nice people. A very nice family place to sail...
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopswell . . .
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Chopswell . . .

It's easy to understand. While you fly through the chop you say "hey this is swell".....

Probably something most people haven't been comfortable saying since the 70's.....
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floras lake....many people (myself included) have had there skills honed there and including the previous WS'ing mag editor. But truly in the summer you just need to push yourself in a intermediate site in the gorge.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get out of your rut, sign up for an ABK clinic.
www.abkboardsports.com

You can catch them this winter in Bonaire - flat water paradise.
In the spring they are Texas and Hatteras - great flat water learning spots.
They come to the Gorge in the summer.
I've taken 10 of these over the years - has done wonders for my sailing.

In the Gorge, Stevenson is a good spot for less wind and flatter water than in the corridor.
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: