myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Black Friday - Boycott the malls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Black Friday - Boycott the malls Reply with quote

Thought my season was over but my dad is willing to bring me to the Cape this weekend. Got it pick one day- Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Looking for ideas of where and when we should go.

Boycott the malls and buy your kid a board!

Cheers,
Graham
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy a warmer wetsuit or drysuit for Graham so he can keep sailing Wink

Saturday looks really good, with gusts of 40 knots. It there any place with good flat water sailing in NW? None of my favorite spots (Duxbury, Fogland, Kalmus) are great for NW, with Kalmus probably being best. How is Ninigret Pond for NW? Any other suggestions?

Peter
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Any other suggestions?”

I do, please excuse me if you’ve heard this before.

CAPE COD BAY-
1013 AM EST THU NOV 26 2009
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT LATE TONIGHT...
...GALE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE FRIDAY
NIGHT...

RC’s Option Choice #1 >> .FRI...N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING W 20 TO 25 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. PATCHY FOG. RAIN
LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE MORNING. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM. – I plan to hit Skaket’s parking lot at 2:30pm. Why so precise on the time. Too much earlier and the walk out is a pain. Flat water to rough depending on how far you want to go out. Darkness will cut things short at about 4:20+. By that time you will be sailing up near the beach. The real rough stuff will won’t start until dark (just due to the tide timing) West and NW are good for runs parallel to the beach. Safer this time of the year!

.FRI NIGHT...W WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 KT. SEAS
3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN.

RC’s Option Choice #3 >> .SAT...W WINDS 30 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING. Saturday morning, if you can hang on, I’d plan on hitting it 2-1/2 hours after high tide. Be prepared for a walk in. Look’n too big for me

.SAT NIGHT...W WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT
AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

RC’s Option Choice #2 >> .SUN...W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT...THEN 1 FOOT OR LESS. Ditto Saturday’s plan but about an hour later. Not as big, so do-able.

RC
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided on Kalmus for tomarrow given the wind direction, the need for a hood (sailworld), and the lust for air (I can jump now Twisted Evil )

Peter, nini is great in a NW wind. Its side shore so you don't have to tack out, making it good for speed runs and trying freestyle.

Hope to see you guys at Kalmus!

Cheers,
Graham
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I plan to hit Skaket’s parking lot at 2:30pm

Is that Skaket’s Beach in Orleans? I have never heard about it as a windsurf spot before. Is it worth the extra 30 min drive relative to Kalmus?

Looking at Google maps, it seems Skaket’s has a pretty clear fetch for W-NW, which would make it a wave spot?
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

Just home for lunch and it's already starting to get (maybe) out of control. My home wind meter is easily "pegging" right past 20 -i nland.

Because the beach / shore profile is gradual, it does not get the waves piling up like Corporation. No question around high tide it yields good size swell and chop but much less in the lower portions of a tide. That's why I like hitting is at 3 or 3.5 hours before high to get warmed up.

Another bonus to the gradual slope, is you can judge the depth. It's not like Chapin where you have pockets of deeper water then dry sand.

RC
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right Master Graham – Line Them Up! I want to know who did it!

I want to know who gave it more of an effort than you and me!

Does anyone else out there in New England have a significant other, or parent in your (Graham’s) case, that will stand on the shore, in the rain, blow’n past 30, at 47F, in the near dark, willing to haul your gear in? I THINK NOT! Don’t forget to tell your Dad and Brother how much you appreciate them before you go to bed tonight.

No fancy tricks, but a full session none-the-less in VAS conditions.

Except for bigger winds than expected or desired, Skaket Beach delivered the exact conditions as planned.

RC
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, thank the tips and letting me use your gear once again. I think my 5.1 was a little (a lot) much. Would have been cool if I could have pulled it off! I'm also curious as to who else got out on the water today.

Cheers,
Graham
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too big this morning

NOAA's P-Town station w /gusts 40-50

RC
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response to your question Boardsurfr, yes Skaket is in Orleans.

I call it ground zero for W-NW-N winds, not much to stop it. With the sloping shore profile, you can your dial thrill meter by just sailing further out on a parallel track with shore.

Check off Graham as another Iwindsurfer who has made the trip. His old man's comment summed it up - geez there's a lot of whitecaps out there!

GF - A little insight to my mind yesterday. After watching you on my gear, with my forearms recovered, I wanted to see it the wind felt more controllable. I guess it did, but I'd had enough anyway.

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: