myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui B&B?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Maui B&B? Reply with quote

I used to go to Maui and stay at Honeybuns with a group called Excursions Extroidinaire (sp)... it was in the 1990s. The first time I did a Rhonda Smith clinic and had a blast. They had gear there rigged and ready at a 4b house on the beach near "uppers" just below Camp 1. They cooked breakfast and lunch then you were on your own for dinner, usually at a reasonably priced fish market meal in Paia. Other than going to dinner, you didn't much need a car if you were content to stay on the beach all day. You could also rent your own gear then stay at Bob's behind them and use the same beach with gear you left rigged on the lawn but had to carry down the path. I did both twice after the first trip by doing the B&B for a week to get tips and videoed wave sailing then we'd rent and stay at Bob's for a second week.

Is there anything like this in Maui any more?

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
ducati

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard mayor tavares effectively shut em all down. the party is over. they're passing legislation to shut down all water sports businesses. it is getting ugly in the people's republic of maui.

shall we all sing kumbaya?
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a rental permitting situation, for the whole island. I've heard rumors that problem is resolved. For example, see VELA Maui ads. Suggest you inquire with Maui vacation rental folks. Loved Honeybun's back in the day.
David
carl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past Maui county administrations were quite lax in enforcing the zoning laws of unpermited vacation rentals. The current administration is much less tolerant (probably because it needs more revenue) and it started cracking down on rentals that advertize on the internet. They are also raising the transient accomodations tax by 2% over the next year. (it was 7.25%, next year it will be 9.25%) The fed sure doesn't include taxes in those inflation numbers!! Rolling Eyes
The way it was "resolved" was that the property owners that wanted to become legal vacation rental had to get permission from all their neighbors, then petition the county to change the zoning for that property. Of course now the owner has to pay the hefty T/A and 4% GE taxes on any rental revenue (in addition to state, fed income tax and county property tax).
tlucoff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: maui b&b Reply with quote

time and again the very best spot to stay in the winter is at the luan kai condos in kihei by the maui sunset.

there is a big huge lawn to rig up on if u kite or windsurf its really cool and you can sail right in front when the surfs to big on the north shore or its kona winds and port tack.

its on the north side of kihei and you can take the highway and get
to the north shore in less than 15 minuites.

the units are pretty cool and you can request one with a flat screne tv
there is a barbque area, pool and tennis courts

call leslie or mario at 808-808-879-1268 and she will set u up
wmike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: maui b&b Reply with quote

tlucoff wrote:
time and again the very best spot to stay in the winter is at the luan kai condos in kihei by the maui sunset.

call leslie or mario at 808-808-879-1268 and she will set u up

It is Luana Kai. I have stayed there many times. Always in a ground floor unit at reasonable rates. Have gotten reasonable rates from Leslie. We have always stayed there for the month of November(for the monthly rate) and sailed out of the condo area 3 or 4 days of the month. Never had a problem with leaving boards on top of the car in the parking lot.
Mike
keycocker1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 or 4 days of the month ???
kirk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sugar Ranch Maui Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:
Aloha. I first came to Maui in 1995 ..... I'll be sure keep you informed of my progress with the licensing and future availability. Even if you don't stay with me, I'm happy to share advice on where to get gear, other places to stay, restaurants, and other insider tips. I also surf Hookipa almost every day, so I'd be happy to give any visitors the essential info before paddling out to this advanced spot, and I can suggest other spots if Hookipa is too advanced. Aloha, Justin

I got your email and sent a reply. Hopefully it didn't end up in a spam folder as I have not heard back.

When I was younger and before I quit drinking, I'd do camping / fishing trips with others that got very noisy at night and we'd usually get told to shut up in campgrounds for drinking well into the night. I've seen how some/many go to Baja to do this and I can easily see how people would do it in Maui where all you need to do is load up on supplies then sail and drink until you need new supplies... and maybe you could get those delivered. Thus, I understand how the neighbors would not want homes without supervision rented out. I'd be at city council meetings myself if the only benefit I got from unlicensed guests was being kept up late at night by their drinking.

I really like the "Family friendly" atmosphere and will try to convince my girlfriend and maybe her mother to join us at Sugar Ranch Maui so I can windsurf while they shop... since vacation for them is SHOPPING and for me it is windsurfing or hiking or skiing or.... you get the idea.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
wmike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker1 wrote:
3 or 4 days of the month ???

I was referring to the Kihei sailing days. Kihei is not my preferred sailing site(due to small slow waves). But Kihei is better than nothing. Days sailing in uppers Kanaha were about 20 days in the month of November over the years. Usually not sailing lower Kanaha because of the crowds and the kites. I guess that that is your question.

Mike
justingordon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Maui North Shore B&Bs Reply with quote

I'd definitely consider options on the North Shore of Maui if you're interested in a totally different vibe than the high density condos and hotels on the South Shore. Plus, you can find places very close to where you want to sail, and some where you can sail right in the backyard, which is huge if you're traveling with non-sailors.

When I first came to Maui in 1995, I absolutely fell in love with sailing warm water and breezes without a wetsuit amongst some of the most stunning scenery on the planet. One week a year then turned into two, and then into 2 three week trips a year. In 2000, I chose to buy agricultural land in Spreckelsville rather than a home in San Francisco. 9 years later, I've completed building a house on those 2 acres, and I've decided to apply for one of the new B&B licenses so that I can legally share my house on a short term basis with water sports enthusiasts, just like Kirk and me. My application is no secret. There's a giant sign in my driveway. It's called Sugar Ranch Maui.

At first the permitting process seemed like a bit of a bureaucratic pain, but the more that I've gotten into it, it really makes a lot of sense, mostly from the perspective of protecting the homeowners that live near such rentals. From what I've heard, the biggest rental problems came from those folks from the mainland that bought homes to use a couple months a year, and then rented the homes on VRBO for the rest of the year. Probably most guests were good, but a few bad guests probably ruined the party by disturbing neighbors. The B&B ordinance allows homeowners who live on-site, like myself, to apply for a license to operate short term rentals, albeit under very strict conditions, especially in the area of noise. For example, I won't want to rent to any large groups that wants to come on vacation and stay up late making lots of noise. You can find a list of permitted b&b's here.

It is worth noting that Maui accommodation prices are lower than they've been in years. Note, you might have trouble finding a car rental or airfare, as those companies have drastically cut supply. The number of rooms, on the other hand, has not changed!

Aloha,

Justin
808 281 7272
http://www.sugarranchmaui.com

Last edited by justingordon on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: