myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing Loreto?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truckirwin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Sailing Loreto? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Recently visited Loreto BCS. Seems similar to Ventana... anyone sail there? Any good info, stories or pics?

Thanks,
Truck
MrFish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't, but I've sailed Bahia Conception just south, which is really fun-there are several places to launch. Loreto should be good--similar to La Ventana, in that the island offshore should increase the wind strength. Don't know where you end up if you break a mast or something though.
gabor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am driving to LV and LB and be by that area on Friday. If is windy I'll be sailing or kiting....let you know and post some pictures if I can. Wink
Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only saw one place in Loreto. Crappy old equipment and nothing else to be found.
madmax7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Drive to La Ventana Reply with quote

Hey Gabor,

good luck in your drive, post as much information as possible, I'll be following your foot tracks, crossing the San Diego border Jan 2 in am.

Hope to see you down there,

Max
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahia Concepcion is surrounded by hills and my experience has not been for auspicious winds. Beautiful scenery though. Coyote campground is stinky and wall-to-wall Winnebagos filled with overweight, overloud "ugly Americans."

For real wind I recommend Punta Chivato, just north of Mulege. PC is on a point out in the Sea of Cortez, hence the higher winds. South beach actually has waves (thigh high of course). Dirt approach road keeps out beer-bellies in RVs.

Advice -- DON'T camp alone, regardless of how beautiful the beach. (PC has a campground and usually frequented by several sailors. Don't know current state of the hotel.)
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punta Chivato is gorgeous, has become so built up in the last ten years.

The hotel is really pretty but expensive. Sailing is great.
MrFish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One place to launch in Concepcion is at Santispac -- you drive all the way around to the left of the bay, to the empty beach with the outhouse and launch from there. If it's windy, the wind will be side shore over there, even if it looked offshore from the road/entrance.
loretosurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: loreto windsurf Reply with quote

To all who are interested in baja windsurfing.
I have a place in loreto bay, I have a 105 liter freeride board and 6.0 sail that is most often used. ( also have 5.0 gear and 7.0 but is used less often) . The place has the same el norte winds as la ventana but may be a few knots off high wind range. It is great cause it turns on at 11 am and off at 4pm so you can plan your day with other stuff around the wind times. The wind in loreto bay developent is on shore and if you walk around the bay there is side-on wind. The wind in town is side shore but there is not rental gear and no great launches. In dec-jan -feb -march it is often 15-25 knot and with decent swell for jumps, ideal 6.0- 100 liter free ride.

I can not figure out why i am the only one surfing here in loreto bay . It has an easy lauch and a sandy bottom , no real hazards and has wave/ bump and jump conditions ..... and with mountain biking, fishing, kayaking, golf course and hotel pool/bar to chill on when wind is down. The homes in loreto bay are DELUXE with 2000 sq ft homes for rent at <1200 dollars a week, no need to camp in the sand. Let's face it most windsurfers are not 19 anymore and have to balance family and fun time. My kids learn on low wind days on mornings and I enjoy the high wind afternoon.

There is GOOD gear here now as i have helped set up the local kayak rental dude with decent 2 yr old gear ( 8 boards and a range of 5.0-7.0 sails with 100- 140 liter boards ) so no excuse (.... former post that says they had crappy gear this was true but not now) , his name is charlie he rents full kit for 40 dollars 4 hr session at the hut on the beach in front of the hotel in loreto bay.
Ive sailed in aruba, hawaii and the gorge and can say that on 3 of 7 days the conditions are as good as the gorge days here in loreto bay if you do not mind >5 meter gear, and beer is cheap here.

yours dave[/img]
MrFish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Loreto get a thermal, or is it only good on norte's? Also, can you sail there when the wind goes southerly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: