myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Ocean Beach coyote problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: SF Ocean Beach coyote problem Reply with quote

Just wanted to give everybody who goes down to Ocean Beach to surf, kite, walk, windsurf, whatever, a heads-up about a coyote problem (I believe) at Ocean Beach. I got bitten by a wild running animal which I believe to be a coyote, down near Golden Gate Park, right at the water line. I am told there's coyotes in the lower part of the park, and there have been incidents with dogs back in 2007 (before I moved to SF).
Description of animal: Coyote stature (as far as I can compare against pictures on wikipedia), gray fur, bright blue eyes, like a Husky almost.
The way this went down, this to me is a display of rabid behavior, so animal control, parks&rec, health department are on this now.
I am also going through rabies prophylaxis, so everything that's taken care of that can at this point.

Watch out, be safe folks.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Coyote Reply with quote

I believe Coyote's eyes are usually yellow (gold).

Although I had a past girlfriend who saw a sharp-shinned hawk with blue eyes and their eyes are usually yellow (gold) as well.
bobcords

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: SF coyote Reply with quote

A coyote will usually be gray/brown in color, but the key is they ones out here usually have a black tip on the tail. Your critter sounds like a domestic dog of the Husky or Malmute variety.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: SF coyote Reply with quote

bobcords wrote:
they ones out here usually have a black tip on the tail.
I didn't look that close
Quote:
Your critter sounds like a domestic dog of the Husky or Malmute variety.
I looked at a few vid's of coyotes and Husky's on youtube and must say except for the blue eyes, the way the animal moved about; gray legs, not white; tail down, looked closer to a coyote though. I suppose we shall never know, unless they find a coyote out there that fits that description.

At any rate, I've ended up getting shots now, which is pretty unpleasant, and I get the sense this could have ended somewhat worse, might still.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are inundated with coyotes in Nevada, esp in outlying areas. They are often grey or light brown. They are commonly seen here, often in the AM, but really anytime. I've had one of my dogs actually play with a coyote. We see them walking in the desert all they time. They usually just stop and stare; usually neither frightened or that curious either.

But very unusual to be bitten by one and warrrants all the precautions you are taking. There are lots of reprts of coyotes moving into cities. They will be ever more common in the future.

I think some hunting is in order just to teach them to be afraid of humans which they really aren't right now. I don't hunt myself but believe some shooting at them could be quite helpful.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
... I don't hunt myself but believe some shooting at them could be quite helpful.

I personally don't like the idea of shooting coyotes but where I live the coyotes will come right into the neighborhood and sometimes catch a dog out at night. If one got into my yard and threatened one of my dogs then I'm afraid I'd have to shoot it. My wife and I were out hiking with the dogs and a big coyote followed us and then barked at us. My dogs chased it all to hell and gone.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was at coyote and got bitten by an ocean beotch.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I know rescued his little dog from a coyote in his backyard here. I don't know if loud sounds will ward them off but there must be something to instill fear in them.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
I personally don't like the idea of shooting coyotes.
Agreed, but sometimes what needs to be done needs to get done. An assistant from the Sunset's supervisor (if not familiar with SF, similar to city council member) left a message basically saying she sees them at Lake Merced and Fort Funston quite a bit.
What freaks me out a little - next thing you know, a three year old gets chewed on right on the beach. But I'll leave this up to the variety of departments and agencies to figure out. Plus we might see a rekindling of the political fighting around the topic here in the City, which I definitely will not take part in.
D-wo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
What freaks me out a little - next thing you know, a three year old gets chewed on right on the beach.

Dingoes ate my baby.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: