myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incident--Camping in Rural Maui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eastfork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Incident--Camping in Rural Maui Reply with quote

[This Forum post was originally posted in the iWindsurf Northwest forum.]

Incident--Camping in Rural Maui

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct8492rZm64
wmike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Missing Maui Camper Reply with quote

eastfork wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct8492rZm64

This thread should be placed in the discussion forum since it has nothing to do with the northwest or windsurfing. But it does have a lot to do with windsurfers that want to camp in remote areas of Maui. Hopefully she will show up somewhere in good health.
lloyd54

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those windsurfers, who are interested in the subject of "camping" during your stay in Maui, or like me are just interested in aspects of the overall culture of Maui, here is something of interest.

The subject of "the homeless" and their camps covers a wide range of "water" issues, ranging from 'drinking water' to 'water access' to 'underwater' (as in mortgages). The "tent cities" appear to be expanding, and remind me of some of the "Hoovervilles", as described in "Grapes of Wrath". In that book, the character Tom Joad went to bat for the residents of their tent cities...I'm not so sure how he would have felt about the present-day 'crack and ice heads' residents. He didn't cover that group of society in his monologue, where, when told by a friend that, for his impending actions, he will "be cut down", and he responds:

"Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIpFPNKrrM&feature=related

For those of us windsurfers, who have traveled and lived in "tent cities" in Baja, and who can related to "Hoovervilles" and "tent cities" and "homeless camps", this subject is of interest.

As Mike says, though, this discussion may belong in a different section of this forum.

I don't know if the missing woman, in question, was a windsurfer or not...but from the description of her, by her friends, she sure appears to have the sole of one of us. I will follow this story closely.
D-wo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch TV, so when I see clips like that I'm amazed how closely TV news borders on self-parody. Sad story indeed, but what a sensationalized piece of shit broadcast. First time I've ever seen a perp fingered on the basis of his "rough sounding" voicemail. Hmmm.

Last edited by D-wo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree D-wo..... with all due respect to the missing camper and her family in this tragic situation.... somehow this tee-vee show really comes across as a Saturday Night Live spoof...... WHY IS THE HOST HOLDING A GAVEL.... indeed, I was fully expecting to laugh at the end when this completely bizarre host might say "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night Live!!".

Sorry if this seems offensive to some... I just thought this story comes across really weird on this particular show (America's Most Wanted)... way, way too much acting and drama for me.

- WMP
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: missing the point Reply with quote

WHo cares what you guys thionk about the style of the production, you are totally missing the point.
That is someones daughter, friend, sister out there and it really appears like she probably got abducted or worse.
This is a really scary scenario, and no one is totally safe camping on Maui. Everyone should be very concerned, and do whatever they can to get the word out and to prevent things like this happening.
Police on Maui really do side with the locals and many crimes go unreported and uninvestigated. I hope nothing like this happens to anyone you or I know.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'nuff said.

Last edited by WMP on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mauipete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS a tragic story.
Sure, the TV folks will sensationalize anything they can, but in this case the national attention gets the story out, and the Maui police should be feeling the pressure to actually DO something.

Last edited by mauipete on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez ..... some guy enjoys posting here and you attack him? What's with that?

Mike
D-wo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is sad. No sane, rational or caring person wants to see campers hurt or abducted. I was merely commenting on the reportage. I think my comments were valid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: