myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to rent gear in outer banks (pref. Corolla or Duck)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eenmijay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Where to rent gear in outer banks (pref. Corolla or Duck) Reply with quote

Hello all. First post here.

I learned to windsurf years ago when I lived in south Florida, but haven't done much in a long time. I will be vacationing with my family in the outer banks during the last week of May, so it seems I may have a chance to get a good week in.

I seem to be coming up short with my web search for a place I can rent a full setup for a week in Corolla or Duck. We're staying in Corolla, so that would be ideal. Duck looks to be the next nearest city/town, with Kitty Hawk farther still. Then again, if I arrange to rent for the entire week and reserve in advance, I suppose I could just stop on the way in, which would be on the way or only slightly out of the way.

It seems that a lot of the rental places with multiple locations only rent windsurfing gear in Hatteras, but I may be missing something.

Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
iwillfindyou2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no windsurfing equipment for rent of any quality until Hatteras. Don't bother looking for it north of Waves. Also Corolla has lots of snakes, weeds, but decent chop on the sound. Duck has great chop on the sound but the sandbars are not as nice on the ocean side (at least they were not last year.) It is ALWAYS windier in Hatteras, which is a 2hr drive from Corolla. There is a very slight chance that the dude from Nor’Banks Sailing might have something, but dont hold your breath.
eenmijay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwillfindyou2112 wrote:
There is no windsurfing equipment for rent of any quality until Hatteras. Don't bother looking for it north of Waves. Also Corolla has lots of snakes, weeds, but decent chop on the sound. Duck has great chop on the sound but the sandbars are not as nice on the ocean side (at least they were not last year.) It is ALWAYS windier in Hatteras, which is a 2hr drive from Corolla. There is a very slight chance that the dude from Nor’Banks Sailing might have something, but dont hold your breath.

Very useful info. That'll save me a lot of hunting.
btbill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, basically there is not much windsurfing retail north of Oregon Inlet. As for gear rental, as mentioned the only sure spot I can think of is HISS (Hatteras Island Sail Shop) in Waves which would be the closest to Corolla.

Though, another wildcard may be Kitty Hawk Watersports located near Windmill Pt in Nags Head. Its relatively new/undiscovered and I believe the owner is set to establish windsurfing back in Nags Head. I am pretty sure there is rental equipment there along with direct access to sound side sailing.

Perhaps give Kitty Hawk Watersports (located around MP 17) a Google search and contact to see what is available. If no joy there, then its a day trip down to HISS or Avon where the heart of Hatteras windsurfing resides.

FYI, May is a great month and the SW to SSW wind blows hard from Jockey's Ridge, south...! Definitely set a few days aside to go windsurfing either in Nags Head or somewhere further south!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: