myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Isabel yesterday 4-5:30. Nobody elese there. 6.5 and 101. Wind came up to 25 or so for a bit and luckily dropped back o a solid 20. Super lumpy conditions but great for my season kick off. East Bay is rockin' the peninsula this time of year.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, another beautiful afternoon on the Delta. 6.0 but could have got by on the 5.3. What can I say? The 6.0 was already rigged from Sunday.
kirk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Kanaha Sat: 20 - 30 Reply with quote

Kanaha HI Sat: 5.0 / 106L / 32cm / 230#
Good 2 hrs but 5.6 would have been easier.. but after getting hammered on 5.0 on Thurs when wind kicked to25--35.. I went safe on Sat. Would have been great if I had my floatier Real Wind board for the holes....
looks windier today

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if I am understanding your post; we are very careful as windsurfers and always learn from our mistakes. Thus, one day we go too big and so the next day we make absolutely sure to go too small. Goldilocks would think we are idiots. We all do it, admit it!
kirk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Sun & Mon repeat at Kanaha: Reply with quote

5.0/106L/32cm/230# (maybe 225# with all the sailing!)

beallmd wrote:
Yes, if I am understanding your post; we are very careful as windsurfers and always learn from our mistakes. Thus, one day we go too big and so the next day we make absolutely sure to go too small. Goldilocks would think we are idiots. We all do it, admit it!

Maybe not too small, but at least not too big again. It takes time to learn to read new conditions and get "calibrated sailors" for wind dummies.

Better wind Sun and Monday (today) so 5.0 worked out well. making a few jibes but wind and waves are very humbling. Cranked up just as I gassed out ... Might be too windy Tue and Wed for 4.5... we'll see.

4 of 5 days so far on 5oh... amazing.

sergem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sun & Mon repeat at Kanaha: Reply with quote

kirk wrote:
4 of 5 days so far on 5oh... amazing.

Kirk, stop gloating already, I can see it from here. Evil or Very Mad
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk, I was not criticizing you, I was making the observation that all of us do it. When we are op'd we say well TODAY I won't be Op'd then we go too small.

Windsurfing is incredible when we are dialed. How many times have each of us come in to say either that was an awesome sesh while someone else says it wasn't too good. Or we struggle and someone else says it was awesome. Usually the diff is one was dialed and perfect while the other was off...Happens all the time.

We are a lot more accurate where we routinely sail. When going somewhere new very often we will miss the call and use something wrong. For example people sometimes blow it at Washoe lake. The wind is gusty, so usually need something small for the gusts but the lulls require a bigger board. So normally need smaller sail and bigger board. The opposite would be true of Waddell- need smaller board for waves for sure, but need power especially on the inside where it's notoriously light-so usually bigger sail...

Then there are fins to select...
kirk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Kirk, I was not criticizing you, I was making the observation that all of us do it. When we are op'd we say well TODAY I won't be Op'd then we go too small.

No offense taken. Fun part about the sport... it really takes a lot of practice to get dialed at challenging sites... but when we are... it is magnificent. As we learn, we get glimpses of how good it can be on the days.... or runs... we are correctly dialed.

human_catapult

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else get out yesterday on that funky SW?

Sailed Haskins alone at high tide. 5.3/97L/170lbs... planing about 40% of the time. The sail size wouldn't have mattered, the gusts had plenty of punch. Would have loved to have company.
donlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several of us out at Sherman in the flood in the afternoon. It was about 5.3-5.6 for normal weight guys, up and down, but usually planning.

A good session.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 215 of 427

Jump to: