myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
URGENT!!! MAUI BEACH ACTIVITIES NEED YOUR SUPPORT...AGAIN!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks keycocker for your approach to sending stuff to Maui.

However, knowing that you send a lot of time in Belize while not on Maui, one has to wonder if the freight scenario you've noted applies to circumstance here on the mainland US, especially from a location at or outside of a major city like LA. Frankly, I wonder about a spot like Santa Barbara, given a round trip drive to LA would augment costs significantly outside of your later desired airline flight commitments to Maui (either from SB or LA).

Last edited by swchandler on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used DHL Ground for years then they wanted more money one day so I think I used FedEx last time for $123 with xtra packed ingoing out. I never sent that gear back and still use it here. You need to weigh.I use a bathroom scale
hstwindsurfing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbarreiro wrote:
Let me know what happened Alan-

Alan Cadiz here. First I want to thank everyone for all the support. The committee received a LOT of email and we were overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of testimony at the meeting yesterday. The efforts resulted in a deferral of the matter to an unspecified later date. We will use this time to draft new language for the committee’s consideration.

I'd also like to clarify a few things that I’ve seen in the posts...
No permits have been sold. Corporations and LLCs that held permits have been sold. No new permits have been issued by the Parks Department since 2003.

As to the value of permits: It’s not that the permit itself is valuable, it’s that a business is worth nothing without it. Even a valuable business is worth nothing without access to a permit. The proposed policies of this current administration would create this situation.

Since 2003 has there been a moratorium and now an official cap on the number of permits. (We did not support caps as we believe in free-markets. The best interests of Maui are served by free-market-forces keeping the standards high.) Now, however, with caps, the language of non-transferability takes on much greater meaning. The new caps (imposed and dictated by the Parks Director alone) and the PROPOSED non-transferability language mean that when I move on, by tragedy or choice, HST would end. My employees would all lose their jobs. Maui would lose the value of my brand and reputation. And there is no promise that my permit would ever be made available to anyone. In the unlikely even that it would be reissued, it would be by lottery. Likely, the pool of applicants would include 'short-term-goal' oriented individuals because non-transferability creates no incentive to build any equity. Clearly this is not in the best interest of Maui's community, the environment, the sport, etc, etc...

Why/How I hold multiple permits:
When the county first required a permit for ocean activities, anyone could apply and, if they could fulfill a few minimum requirements and had 50 bucks, they could get one. Permits were termed ‘non-transferable’ but anyone could get one so it didn’t matter. A permit allowed the holder to conduct any ocean recreation activity at most of the 169 access points around the island. I applied for and received one (1) permit.

Then parks said I had to pay for each park I used. I chose 4 so that I’d have backup locations for kona winds or big surf. Then, two years ago the parks director said I must pay for each activity at each park.

HST teaches 3 activities: windsurfing, kitesurfing and surfing/SUP. I don’t teach every activity at every park, so I actually have 9 permits. 98% of the time I’m only using 2 – windsurfing and kitesurfing at Kanaha.

So what started out as one permit for one business is now nine permits for one business. County has steadily increased the fee per permit to $500. I now pay 9 * $500.

BTW... When I speak of my investment, I refer to our 24 years of sweat equity. There are no "big corporations" in this industry.

Another mis-conception is that the proposed language relaxes or broadens the definition of non-transferability. In fact the proposed language ends all options of transferability to anyone except family. I can’t take a partner; I can’t sell or gift stock, I can’t hire a management company to run it. All of these would trigger immediate and final expiration of my permit.

Thanks again to everyone for following our plight and for all the compliments. We appreciate everyone and we won’t go away without a big fight. In the mean time we’re still here and its sunny, windy and the surf is ahead of schedule!!!! Aloha -Alan
dbarreiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Alan, thanks for the post.
windbetty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing some simple math...why not just pay for the 2 permits you use 98% of the time and only pay 2x$500?
hstwindsurfing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccormier wrote:
doing some simple math...why not just pay for the 2 permits you use 98% of the time and only pay 2x$500?

Because, during my 24 years at this, I can remember a time when the wind blew Kona (southerly) for a good part of one winter - making Kihei the preferred location AND there have been 4 week stretches of little to no wind and the only thing to do was surf. If I don't keep these permits, access to those alternate locations and sports, will be lost forever for all my clients. I cannot just go get another permit when the conditions change. Kinda like a life boat - we may never need it, but if we do, we'll be mighty glad we have it!
hstwindsurfing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Maui proposed ordinance change Reply with quote

Thank you all for all your past support. Here is a quick update on the status on Maui parks service providers:
Seems the budget woes have sidetracked the Parks Dept mission to give permittees a hard time, but if Mayor Tavares gets re-elected we are pretty certain there will be another round of difficulties for operators at public beach parks like us.
SO, we are supporting former Mayor ALAN ARAKAWA in his bid for re-election. He has vowed to support not only small businesses, but our industry and our business.
Please, MAUIANS, register to vote and support Alan Arakawa in both the primary and the general election. The primary is very important here. Only the top 2 vote getters move on to the general election.
Mahalo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: