myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First time Gorge visit- suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windcicle

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rent buddy! Reply with quote

[quote="trance"]
cruzanboard wrote:
Thanks for the tips.
The wife wanted to fly up, rent a car and I'd rent gear.
I said NOT! I'll take my truck with my gear and enjoy the drive.
Not sure how I will react to so many shops nearby.
May need to buy something.

Very Happy[/quote ] renting is great-i used to own gorge gear but now i rent new naish gear from big winds. I love it so much i'm off to maui and renting from naish pro centre while i'm there! best part about renting is you give the gear back to them with less depreciation and your gear is always current Laughing now i put all my money into slalom and formula gear Embarassed

Not a fan of renting unless the shop is at the shore. If the shops suggested had rentals at the shore, then it would be a no-brainer financially... no car needed, able to swap gear throughout the day, nice (sort of... stuck at one spot).

Even if you pick launches immediately around HR (ie: within 10 minutes) this is the Gorge where your daily quiver usage is at least 2 boards, 3+ sails and all the associated hardware for each. Unless you plan to drive back to the shop every 2 hrs for a gear change.

Tally up the cost for renting all this crap each day + the total cost of renting a vehicle. If you head out with less gear your gonna end up either sitting on shore with you thumb up your _ss for 1/2 the day, or your gonna be all f'd up out in the middle of the river.

Smart choice to bring your own gear, if it is suitable for a swell (pun) time in 30+ conditions.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS NOT ALWAYS 30+

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
ITS NOT ALWAYS 30+

No, but it could be at the right(or wrong) site for 4 days.
When we showed up the 1st time (1991) nobody had small
enough gear, and we took a pounding. Didn't take long
to get outfitted with cheap used stuff in the right range though.

-Craig
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a local, but I have visited a lot over the last 20 years. My best picks for intermediate level sailing fairly close to Hood River would be the following:

Swell City
Rowena
Doug's Beach
Bob's Beach

Between Rowena and Doug's, the former probably wins out for the intermediate, since the swell isn't as demanding and the crowd is more dispersed. I have to admit that Swell City is my favorite spot in the Corridor. The launch is arguably one of the best, and one can move a just a tad downriver and be totally free of the crowd. Bob's offers a nice grassy area to rig with large shade trees, and a great launch. Like Rowena, the swell tends to be relatively small.

Many folks love the Hatchery, but it can get pretty hectic, particularly close to the entrance to the site on the Washington side. The Event Site is located in Hood River, and it can be pretty good sailing, but again, the traffic can be high and it also includes kiters too.

If the wind is out east, I would target Maryhill, Rufus and Roosevelt as potential candidates. Maryhill and Roosevelt both offer a location with the nice grass and large shade trees, so they are particularly great for those who don't windsurf and want a space to kick back and relax.

Lastly, I would highly recommend taking your own gear, since you're familiar with it, and it will save you a ton of money. I have to say though, with all the shops in HR, you might elect to demo a board that you've been thinking about, particularly if its nuking. You might want to demo the Real Wind boards, as they offer free board and sail demos. Watch out though, the temptation to pull out your pocketbook is huge, especially since there's no sales tax.
jota

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: keep it simple Reply with quote

trance wrote:
. . .
then go to 5th ave grill for happy hour and wife will be stoked

What is 5th ave grill? I've lived in Hood River for 23 years and never heard of it.
anecak

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'm sure you need another opinion. All of the folks who warned you about it being crowded overlooked that you said you were going to be here 'early June'. It is not going to be too crowded to park in early June anywhere except, possibly, the Event Site on a weekend. Most of the Summer visitors don't get here until late June to July 1. Having said that, I agree with those who said the places closest to your level and familiar conditions are going to be Stevenson, the Event Site, and Rowena. The Hatchery and Swell City are not intermediate sites unless the average is <25mph. Above 25, with a lot of sailors on the water, they are advanced territory.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "advanced territory" a euphemism for "looney bin"?
Ant farm?
Bumper cars?
Water rugby?

Mike \m/
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early June could be blowing >30 or <20. Bring at least 3mils of rubber, water will still be a tad cold. All the spots mentioned here can be crowded but that is very easy to overcome - sail 300 yards up or down from the launch. Works at all venues to beat the crowds. Current will be strong in June, stronger around Maryhill, so keep that in mind.
westender

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rent one of the cabins next to Bob's Beach. Some people even leave their stuff rigged if they're staying there. The Brewpub is 300' away and the rest of the town is 2 or 3 blocks away including the Liquor Store. If it's too cloudy and no wind in Stevenson then you can drive east. Mosier also sounds like it's up your alley. If it's windy, I would not suggest The Hatch or Swell. At Doug's you can land jibe on both sides. It's shallow. If it's windy there, do Bob's or Mosier.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: keep it simple Reply with quote

jota wrote:
trance wrote:
. . .
then go to 5th ave grill for happy hour and wife will be stoked

What is 5th ave grill? I've lived in Hood River for 23 years and never heard of it.

I am sure he means sixth street bistro....it is good. kinda like Mama's fish house on Maui it's a must stop for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: