myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First time Gorge visit- suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
If you want to avoid some sort of unnatural exam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uPu1dRRfTY&feature=related

scottwerden wrote:
only unnatural acts going on out east is that there is a rumor some people put the back foot first in the foot straps.

BFF is side effects of new doc performing colonoscopy for the very first time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkgbK7VTmY&feature=channel

- WMP
westender

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevensonitis.

It is true. From some of the comments, I was reminded. You won't impress your friends back home if you tell them you sailed at Bob's beach. Better to go somewhere that you can really test your limits. Don't forget the Band-aids.

If you start hanging around with those old gray or no hair sailors, you could end up just like them.

For light wind, goose poop, old farts and kiters, Stevenson is the place. Twisted Evil
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread keeps growing and growing, you can really see that the lack of quality wind is start to drive people mad.
wooot

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not read the entire post.... but

based on your initial question.

Wind ANGLE is the key to sailing in the Gorge(lined up withthe spot on the river you want to sail). Northerly ( for very few places are good)... more southerly for others.

It IS more about the day than the place. right angle= good day, bad angle=bad day. Anywhere can be wicked if the windpeed average is 40. but the hatchery is pretty easy if its blowing 18... could be the only spot w/ wind.

Ignore much of what you read about this place being bad ass or that place not (same goes for the drivel from SOME of the frequent posters)... it is ALL about the day AND the ANGLE.

rule (1): NEVER sail at the event site... the place SUCKS! chop from hell, crappy wind, no swell. better off going to the Hook, Stevenson or Home valley or ANYWHERE else than this. ( Can you tell I am not a big fan of the Event site?)

(2)stay in front of the clouds. bad in them, gusty in the transition, better to the east.

(3)More wind than you want?? go east before it gets there (or earlier), or... ACK.... on a true NUKE day drive away from the light (into the clouds)

(4) always sail in WA when you can (or at least drive there if you are heading east) because there are way more spots, and you can see what is happening.

(5) Use the overlook at Avery as your wind indicator if you are heading East. the wind may APPEAR to be coming from a certain direction but the canyon is the DEVIL!!! and will fool you,,, what you think you see may not be the real deal, as far as wind angle goes. Filled in perfectly at Avery. it IS southwest (really southwest).... good at avery.... mostly west... Gusts from HELL ( which you can see from the overlook) and there is some north in the wind... go elsewhere (i'm not tellin')

(6) bring you own gear IF you can... famaliar stuff is WAY better than renting what they tell you you need... (some is garbage... some is awsome). you may very well need to rent smaller stuff though if you don't own it.

(7) Just because it is the Gorge it does NOT mean you rig your 3.7 and put on a70 ltr. board every session. You will prob. have a much better time on a board that is a larger than the minimum usable size for the wind. much better to coast through the lulls than sink in them. ( I think this is the #1 mistake I see visitors make in up and down conditions)
This is not to say that you might hit some days where you are just trying to survive and hanging on for your life.... THEN you can put up that little sail and board.
As the sail sizes get smaller be FORCED to rig down. don't rig your 3.7 till you can't hang on to your 4.2.... same deal for 3.7 to 3.2. Sailing 200 yards on a 3.2, then slogging up to your knees for 100more before you plane again, over and over is NOT FUN.

I have A sore Achiles and I am watching it blow almost every day, and I can't sail... so I am PISSED!!... sorry for the rant

The Gorge is NOT that hard. Anyone can do it if they have a decent waterstart.

GOLDEN RULE: talk to people who sail here( when you are here) and BE MOBIL and you will have an awesome time!!!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Wooots advise is spot on. I only get in 65 planing days a year in the Gorge,
so you can take that into account, but one thing I can tell from his response is that HE is certainly "bad ass". ;*)

-Craig

wooot wrote:

Ignore much of what you read about this place being bad ass or that place not (same goes for the drivel from SOME of the frequent posters)... it is ALL about the day AND the ANGLE.

The Gorge is NOT that hard. Anyone can do it if they have a decent waterstart.

GOLDEN RULE: talk to people who sail here( when you are here) and BE MOBIL and you will have an awesome time!!!
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple; camp close to HR. Stop at Windance each day to get your direction and go! If your not water starting each way then you don’t belong in the Gorge. If you’re scared of big swell and waves, don’t bother!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: