myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fogland water access possibly threatened
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoderX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for alerting everybody. I am going to send my letter tomorrow.

I think we need to emphasize that any kind of anchored trawl lines may lead to injuries among windsurfers, some of whom are kids.

Regards,
Andrey
windswell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Public hearings on Fogland - try to attend Reply with quote

To be clear, there are 2 oyster projects, one on the Salt Pond where people don't windsurf, and one in Fogland cove, and 2 different companies.

I've just emailed Richard Lucia – Engineer and Amy Silva – Biologist, at rlucia@crmc.ri.gov, asilva@crmc.ri.gov, They are the lead people from the state of RI on this. I would strongly recommend you contact them also, and try to go to the public hearing, bringing people with you. I don't even sail Fogland and I'll be out of state for a week or so. It would be wise for a Fogland regular to get this organized, so somebody step up. Best if you're a RI resident, which I am not. I sail at Horseneck.

Dear. Mr. Lucia and Ms. Silva,

I am writing today to get an update on the Fogland oyster project proposed by Chris Clarendon.

When are the public hearings ?
Who votes on approval of this project ?
What impact beyond writing letters can the public have on this proposal ?
When do you expect to make a decision ?

As described in the local newspaper, this project would severely limit water access to beginner and elder windsurfers and kiteboarders who use the shallows of Fogland cove as one of the few safe, windy, accessible sites in Rhode Island. Just moving to the south side of the beach is not a good solution, as it will impact swimmers and may also mean beginner windsurfers and kiters stranded in the main channel, requiring rescue by the Tiverton harbor master.

Thank you in advance for your reply,

Sincerely,

Jefferson Bull
acidland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my receipt in the mail today from CRMC. The file # is 2010-04-101. site location Sakonnet River, Tiverton.

My letter was placed in the file and I assume all others sent will be placed there as well. Anyone wishing to contact the CRMC office can call 401-783-3767 or email cstaffl@crmc.ri.gov.
thanks for any assistance on this and keep those letters and emails coming.
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Fogland - WE WON !!! STOP SENDING mail and GET ORGANIZED Reply with quote

Please tell everybody you know to stop sending mail. We won !!!

I just got a phone call back from the Coastal Resources Management Council who said that Clarendon's application has been denied. In fact, this was never open for public hearing as the CRMC thought the project was not a good idea, and denied it over a week ago.

Having a bunch of letters show up from all over the country, definitely helped seal this shut at this point. And put them on notice that there's a bunch of us willing to protect that windsurfing resource. Those letters have been filed at CRMC. They were not thrown out.

I would encourage someone who uses Fogland regularly and lives in Rhode Island to be in touch with the CRMC and Tiverton representatives should this ever come up again. We need a leader/coordinator of some sort.

So somebody step up, identify yourself here, and agree to accumulate a file of emails of concerned windsurfers should Fogland or other Rhode Island access be threatened at some point in the future. I am that coordinator person for Horseneck Beach/Westport, Mass region if you ever have issues or information about that area. The CRMC did say that Clarendon was likely to reapply, but not likely to ask for Fogland cove again.

So thank you all for your participation.... and celebrate !! We won, even if it was putting the last few nails in the coffin and a big heavy rock on top of it.

Jeff
Juani222

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news!!! I just got a letter confirming that they received my note... I couldn't be happier for my friends in Fogland...

See you out there,

Juan

seaniekaye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Sweet! Reply with quote

Nice work guys! Whew.
RbGar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! I live very near Fogland, dont kiteboard there too often as better places close buy for us, great to know its protected, it's a good spot for sure. Very Happy
acidland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the minutes at the last Harbor Commission meeting on 9/7/2010, Chris Clarendon has obtained permission for a two trap test with DEM approval. I am not sure where in Fogland he has permission to do so. You can read the minutes to this and the previous meeting (where he asks to apply to be on the commission) on the Tiverton web site. If anyone has any further info about this please post.
dpsilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything new on this?
neeth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: This is up for a Vote again Reply with quote

Here is some info posted on another site about it.

I just received a letter from CRMC stating that there will be a meeting to review Chris Clarendon's Fogland cove oyster growing proposal on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2011 at 6pm in conference rm A, at the Admin Bldg,One Capitol Hill, Providence. His Crmc file # is 2010-04-101. Interested parties may attend and present evidence for or against.
I guess it is not over! There is a # to call for more info-401-783-3370. For those who don't know what he proposes to do, here is some info taken from a Tiverton meeting earlier in the year. "Mr. Humphrey inquired about the size of the proposed full-scale operation. Mr. Clarendon replied that he was
unsure. He stated that most farms contained 100,000 – 250,000 oysters, within 200-300 mesh bags on 3 or 4
trawl lines, which were each 200-300 feet long. Mr. Humphrey asked how this proposal would be different from
locating a for-profit business on Pardon Gray Preserve. Mr. Hart noted that moorings were already taking up
space in the basin, and that the proposed project would take up less space than moorings."

He is trying for a test site but he is planning to expand that already.
Please write a letter using one of the templates and if you know any kiters this is the area that most of them stay in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: