myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing spot to live?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm......I just finished building a single family (3BR) house in Aruba up near the lighthouse (in Tierra Del Sol) with the notion to live there a few years as part of a mid-life break. But events have since transpired rendering that no longer viable. It's 500 yards to the beach and has an upstairs wraparound balcony with views of the whole northwest coast line. Recently listed at $975K. Ping back if you are interested.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing spot to live? Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
We loved Hood River, but the windsurfing season there is shorter than in Boston, and we'd prefer a warmer spot.

Any suggestions for areas we should check out? Water and air temps > 50 for 10-11 months per year would be nice, with house prices below $300-400K for a small house.

Is this scenario close enough for consideration?
• Desert climate for about 8 months, overcast crap usually below 50 the other 4, but snow is rare (total annual precipitation ~ 6").
• Modest sized, growing city (200,000) with wide variety of career ops, a solid economy, and an international airport.
• Diverse ethnicity, from migrant workers to high-tech research PhDs, from many continents.
• Recession, schmecession, but $300k will still buy a 2,500 sq ft modern home with acreage and excellent landscaping in a quiet upscale neighborhood with an excellent golf course for your old age (golf is a year-round activity there).
• No state income taxes, low property taxes, high sales tax (but no sales tax on WSing gear ... which is dirt cheap anyway).
• Great water sports available right in town, but only rarely including windsurfing.
• World class WSing begins 40 minutes away, peaks an hour away.
• Barefoot WSing season runs runs from early April through about Thanksgiving. Some nutjobs sail the other 4 months, when the 100-degree rule is violated and the wind quality sucks; others hit the slopes or Baja/Maui for the winter.
• Wineries, some world renowned, around every bend in the road.
• Traffic, schmaffic, and red means STOP, not FLOOR IT like in Bahston.
• Compared to Boston, groceries there will cost 23% less, housing will cost 45% less, utilities will cost 47% less, transportation will cost 7% more, and healthcare will cost 13% less, for a 30% reduction in total cost of living.

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakima, mike?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-Cities.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennesse ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars: Tri cities is awesome!

Everyone else: No, it's really not.

Isobars: Atopic right wing political rant. Some useful information hidden in terabytes of personal perspective on life, windsurfing, and eastern washington.

Everyone else: Atopic left wing political rant. Some ad hominem attacks upon Isobars.

Repeat as necessary for thousands of views until everyone decides to go sailing again.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Tri-Cities.

Everyone else would try to keep their town (or WS site) less populated but others are "Move West my friends (or anyone w/ a pulse) come hither and populate".
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s despicable that you self-centered, lying and/or uninformed schmucks are more interested in attacking Isobars than in helping a fellow windsurfer find a place to relocate to. Has it ever occurred to you to let the poster examine the facts and make his own damned choice where he wants to live? WTF’s wrong with You People anyway?

Sure, I have my biases, just as do every one of you and the OP. My biases include a deep hatred of most aspects of big city life, a well-earned dislike for hot & humid climates, and a love of personal freedom and the big, open, accessible outdoors. I want good shopping and restaurants and movies and medical care with quick access to excellent uncrowded outdoor recreation -- especially WSing at present -- in a dry climate, plus personal safety and minimal traffic. I’ve lived in about 14 towns/cities in about 10 states all over the U.S. and visited another 30+ states, and chose this one over all other locations after I replaced dirt biking with windsurfing. I’ve lived in the Gorge much of the past 20 years, in Kennewick/TriCities since 1999, and my only complaints are that I can’t (won’t) sail here all winter and the most reliable excellent WSing is an hour away rather than in my back yard.

I kept my mouth shut about the best place I ever lived until I left there (Utah), and out of respect for my younger buds will probably never discuss special spots on the Columbia even after I sell my last WS board. If I thought my factual comments about the TriCities would increase it or its WSing venues’ crowds -- or it it weren’t already receiving national attention in Best Places to Live lists -- I’d keep my mouth shut. You don’t hear a peep out of me about launches I treasure, and 5 more residents in one of the nation’s fastest-growing small cities is a drop in the bucket.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere but here!

*walks off with hands in pockets, whistling a tune*
robgray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "Hanford Nuclear Reservation"

Paradise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: