myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
dogs running all over the event site pooping & unleashed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenritchie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: dogs running all over the event site pooping & unleashed Reply with quote

I don't sail all that much at the Event site, but I do enjoy it for the family friendly aspects, grassy, nice beach, good for the whole family & kids, close to town, good for those learning to sail, etc.

But after the last couple days there, while I'm paying the $5 fee, there's a sign posted about dogs being on-leash at all times, which is reassuring, and every time I figure it was just that one dog that one time, but after stepping in dog crap again this week I'm ticked. It's been a common occurrence to see 3 dogs running rampant all over the beach (which itself doesn't really bother me, if I knew they weren't relieving themselves on the grass).

What's up with you lazy ass dog owners? I'm sick of stepping in your dog crap!!! Can you please just clean it up. Of all the beaches in the entire Gorge, I have never stepped in sh%$ except at Event.

Oh well, maybe it's that "close to town" beach vibe, lots of people, and to be expected. Or should I be posting my rant on the IKitesurf site??
tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear god. not another anal retentive, carry-disinfectant-lotion-everywhere, "dogs-relieving-themselves-on-the-grass (of all places!)", anti-dog, child-first-and-forever crap...

listen sister, dogs exist. in mass quantities in the u.s. nearly 100 million of them. in fact, in my home town(s) san francisco (and seattle recently) there were more dogs in the city than children. so dogs at the event site ought to be more the type of thing you'd see than kids.

and boy oh boy, have i seen kids and their parents behaving badly. including "relieving themselves on the grass (of all places!)". and soiled diapers in inappropriate places. in fact, there's a post on this forum about a child throwing the carbon mast of a stranger while the parents watched and laughed.

so calm down.

are there bad god parents? yes. are they worse than bad human parents? no.
jenritchie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstizzle wrote:
dear god. not another anal retentive, carry-disinfectant-lotion-everywhere, "dogs-relieving-themselves-on-the-grass (of all places!)", anti-dog, child-first-and-forever crap...

tstizzle, It's not a kids are better than dogs thing, I don't like stepping in shit of any kind. Maybe it was some kid for all I know. end of rant.
jota

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, tsizzle, lay off the coffee, man.
that was the rant of the thread, not the OP.
Just saying.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is Eastern Oregon. Republican country man.... Property rights country. Government regulations are crap.... dog crap and speeding and guns are protected by our constitution. Nobody puts dogs on leashes here.

Besides, it might be goose poop.

Don't go to Rowena if you don't like dog poop.

KMF
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this one...

Every time this comes up on the kite forum folks are accused of being Nazi dog haters, and everyone claims that THEIR dog is really perfect around kites, and THEIR dog ever craps, and the ONE TIME THEIR did DID CRAP, THEY PICKED IT UP etc. Meanwhile, we get small packs of dogs craping on the lawn, playing as dogs do, and putting holes in kites as they run over them and their owners are out kiting with NO IDEA what their canine friends are up to.

If you try to explain to folks that you own and love dogs, you are treated like a patronizing a#%$@#, and berated.

Good luck

I gave up
bobsmithna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a dog owner that lets my dog run loose sometimes, BUT good on you for complaining about the dog poop! There is no excuse for that. There really aren't problem dogs, just problem owners. If and owner can't keep an eye on they dog, clean up after it, and keep it under control, they forfeit their right to let it run loose. A free (dog) society is a privilege that can be spoiled for all if the bad ones usurp it.
dbk57

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m a local HR resident and I have dogs. When I go sailing I leave my pets at home. If I take them to the Eventsite/ waterfront trai for a walk I leash and I cleanup after my pets. There are ample poop bag dispensers located all along the park and trail. As a note there is a lot of goose poop on the lawn at the Event site . Maybe the Port of Hood River maintenance ought to start cleaning the poop up in the morning before the beach gets crowded.There use to be a Event site host. I believe they were unable to find someone this year. Dan who use to do it did a great job of talking to pet owners and drop off traffic congestion. Contact the Port of Hood River at 541-386-1645 /www. portofhoodriver.com Michael McElwee director for your complaints or concerns. Let them know that your coming to the Premier place in the world to windsurf or kite and they could do a better job.
Bottom line parents watch your kids. Pet owners leash and clean up after your dogs.
Life is short. Be a better citizen. Be a better person.
Be grateful to be here.
It's going to nuke again today. See you on the water.
DK
katosandog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why some people obey the rules and some think they are above them is an interesting social phenomena. The people that let their dogs run loose or crap at the Event Site are in most cases repeat offenders and sneer at the thought their beloved pets inconvenience any other user.

And if there ever is a crackdown at the Event Site, it will be some draconian action like no dogs anywhere anytime, and just a tiny fraction of dog owners will have ruined it for all. Of course, the individuals responsible will never see it that way AND they will be the most offended by the new rules.
aesmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Owners are responsible for their dogs, parents their kids Reply with quote

There is no discussion. No dog should be off leash, or left to defecate at will at any public beach, park, or other location unless it is specifically designated as a Dog Play area. Control and clean up after your pets. Many public parks, trails, beaches etc are now closed to dogs, and the number will continue to increase as a result of some owners' irresponsible behavior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: